Hardy's Perfection Roach

The Hardy Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Hardy's Perfection Roach

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I am told that Hardy's may have made these rods in two lengths and I was wondering if anyone could confirm. If they did does anyone know the two different lengths offered. Thanks chaps in advance.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Hardy's Perfection Roach

Post by AshbyCut »

According to the inthenet site, Hardy made the Perfection Roach in both 10ft and 11ft lengths between 1914 and 1966 ... and as an 11ft rod between 1934 and 1955.

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... e_Cane.asp

As far as I'm aware the 3 piece was only built as an 11ft.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Thank you for the link AC but it does say both the 10 foot and 11 foot versions were in 2 sections. No mention unless I missed it of a 3 piece 11 footer.

Does anyone have experience of using both the ten foot and eleven foot version and if so would they care to express an opinion of the differences or how they found each version to handle.

There must be some sort of significant difference I would have thought to justify making the two lengths as I assume the ten footer was made up of two 5 foot sections and the eleven footer made up of two 5 foot 6 sections which would appear to be a lot of work for what might be very little difference.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

According to Graham Turners 'Fishing Tackle'
Perfection Roach - split bamboo - 2 joint - 10ft;10.5ft & 11ft - 1914 - 1966
Perfection Roach - split bamboo - 2 joint - - 11ft only - 1934 - 1955

Neither were 3 joints.

Featherweight Roach is as the Perfection Roach but 3 joints made from 1914-1933. And from 1929 - 1939.
There are also the Match Roach - 2 joint - 10.5ft & 11ft - from 1924-1953.

All the above are split bamboo.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

PH, Sir ... for the 3 piece rod I was referring to the one Badger1 posted pictures of in this thread scroll down) :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... n&start=10
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

I have a 10' Perfection Roach 2 piece (numbered C19228) dates to 1922. I think it is all original and has tiny agate lined snake rings throughout.
It is a very delicate rod and i'm afraid I've never been brave enough to use it but here are a couple of pics for those interested.

Dok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”