Hardy Javelin

The Hardy Rods forum.
Drifter

Hardy Javelin

Post by Drifter »

Hi

I have some more questions for you learned folks.

The dealer is unable to find the LRH No2 spinning rod that I was interested in, but he does have a very nice 1955 Javelin.

What I was wondering was, how does this rod compare to the LRH No2 as I can find plenty of info for the No2 but none for the Javelin and it seems that the No2 is just what I am looking for (a good strong rod for multiplier use for spinning and plugging). Would the Javelin be as good.

Looking at the dealers pictures, I notice that the javelin does not have any intermediate wippings. Is this normal for this rod and does it make the rod weaker, ie will it be more prone to split along its' length?

Thanks in advance

Drifter

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Re: Hardy Javelin

Post by Tinca Tinca »

When Iam right the Javelin is a Pike rod,and if iam not completely wrong it was built of greenheart first.
The greenheart one must have been around the 30ties and possibly this 1955 one is a more modern rod.
In my opinion is must be more a LRH3 than a LRH2 and a little more tippy than a Salmon rod.

In question of the intermediates:This rod might be glued with synthetic glue and than it is not
nessesary to make intermediates.My marksman has none,too and works excelent.The delamination
problem was more in times of hideglue which rotted away when it got wet.The newer rods usually
have a modern varnish which is more durable than the old oilbased varnishes,too...
If it is not too steep in price try out and sell on when it isnot your type of rod.....

Drifter

Post by Drifter »

Thanks Tinca Tinca that's a great help :Thumb:

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Ive just taken mine off the hook to have a look for you Drifter.I havent used it for a while,its called the "Javelin Pike".Mine has clear glass lined tip and rings except the butt ring which is their Monel type spinning ring.Green whips no intermediates,copper wire on one foot of the butt ring.

Ive used it for spinning and dead bait wobbling for pike.At 8 feet 6 in its a foot shorter than the LRH rods.And is a different rod in use.I like mine and would say that is an excellent rod to add in to a keen spin fishers range.The ideal would be to have an LRH that suits your fishing and a javelin if funds allow it.If not the extra length of the LRH rods would probably be more useful.

I have had the LRH No 2 and its difficult to compare directly with the Javelin they are basically different rods in my opinion.I now use the later LRH Spinning which something akin to being between the LRH 1 & 2.I will certainly be taking the javelin out this winter. :Happy: .

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Just noticed that you want to use a multiplier on the rod Drifter.My Javelin has sliding bands i much prefer a screw reel fitting for multipliers my LRH has one.I will try an ABU 5000 on the javelin.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

What Tc does the split cane Javelin have?Seems to me that it might be similar to my Marksman rod
which has 8,6ft and a TC of approximately 2 lbs....And that is a really fine Pike spinning rod but
rare to find,as the Javelin,too.A Hardy guide might help for further informations.When your rod is
of 1955 it might be listed in the guide of 1955.But I found out that not all rods were listed.....

Drifter

Post by Drifter »

Hi guys and thanks for your help, sorry I've taken so long to thank you, but I've been on holiday and also been busy rod hunting and when I get my mind set on something I find it difficult to concentrate on anything else, even fishing!!

I do fell a little rude however,for I only just found the last few replies now.

I do have some good news though, I have just purchased a Hardy County spinning rod. The reasons for making this choose are as follows:

• An LRH No 2 in what I consider to be good condition or in a condition worthy of the prices being asked for them is neigh on impossible to find.
• One of the features that I liked about the LRH was the anti-snag button and the County has that also.
• I read a very informative post on here about the County by Watermole. What he described is what I was looking for.
• The maximum casting weight recomended by Hardys is the same for both rods at 1 ounce.
• Oh, and I fell in love with it when I first saw it.

So my 1st cane rod is on it's way to me. May it be the first of many.

Thanks again for your help, both direct and indirect. Next I will be asking about the dos and don'ts of looking after a split cane rod, unless it has already been asked. Time to use that fine little search engine again!

All the best :Hat:

Drifter

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”