Re: Allcocks - Range of Rods

Post by Saltman »

Hi, Hell quite a few then !!

Saltman

Saltman

Post by Saltman »

Hi All,

Has anyone heard of the Allcocks Torbett Barble carp rod ? I've seen one advertised but is not in the list of Allcocks rods posted on this site.

Regards Saltman.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

As far as I'm aware Allcock's only made one rod linked to Harvey Torbett and named after him. It's an 'avon' actioned rod configured like the Chapman's '500' ... 2 pieces with a separate handle ... measuring 10ft. in length.
It differs slightly from the '500' being slightly stronger in the butt but slightly finer at the tip.

The description of the one you've seen advertised is 'somewhat loose,' I think.

It is named after Harvey Torbett who was, by profession, a teacher ... and was also involved in educating young anglers.

It is described in the 1966 Allcock's guide thus :-

"The Harvey Torbett Rod - For the young angler. Previously young anglers have been catered for with relatively cheap and primitive fishing rods. The "Harvey Torbett" is the first high quality ever designed for the juvenile and as such has met with an enthusiastic response.
It is a light rod , perfectly balanced so that a twelve year old boy may wield it all day without the least fatigue. 2-joint built cane with separate cork handle, screw winch fitting, agatine butt and end rings, full stand-off intermediates, red silk whippings, cloth bag.
Length - 10ft. A250 75/- ea. + 12/6 P.Tax."

PM sent, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

In the 1967 catalogue it was 88/9 inc P/T.

The Record Breaker being 177/6 and the Carpavon 319/6! A small fortune!

I opted that year for the hollow fibreglass Billy Lane rod at 13ft costing 297/-, which I still have.

It is advertised as "whole & split cane" - again incorrect - unless you possibly include the handle under the corks!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just noticed there is little about the Nimrod spinning rod.
From 1966 catalogue:- "The Nimrod".
A beautiful rod, longer and more stoutly built than the "Hughes Parry". Ideal for use with the "Ambidex 9" and an 8lb line for salmon, grilse, pike and sea trout. Two joint built cane, solid cork handle, reinforced suction ferrules, agatine rings throughout, movable screw reel fitting, rubber button, partitioned bag.
Approx 8oz. 8.5ft 180/- each + 30/- P.Tax

Minimum line strength - 6lb; Max. 10lb. Min casting weight 1/2oz - Max 1.5oz

Graeme
Minnow

Post by Graeme »

I have an Allcock 3Star fibreglass fly rod 3 sections and 9ft 6 ins. bought in 1967. I still use it and caught my first salmon on it. It is a super rod to use

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

I see that Traditional has added the Climax rods on the previous page.

I happened to see a 9 ft version yesterday.

I'm guessing too powerful for coarse use unless breaking the carp or catfish record is really on the cards!

Has anyone owned or used one & any idea of value?

Many thanks.

Michael.Burrowes
Stickleback

Post by Michael.Burrowes »

Good morning

This is my first posting, so I hope it works. I have the Marvel Fly rod in great condition, however can anyone help me with the weight forward line for the rod.

Thanks

Michael

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

See my reply to your 1st post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just seen an Allcocks Lucky Strike which seems to be a fly or salmon rod by the handles configuration.

Anyone have more or better details re the Lucky Strike oval label?

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”