Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

The Allcocks Rods forum.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hmmmm I was debating wether I would be able to get away to Redditch?

I believe Mal may just have made up my mind for me!!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have returned from the Redditch Fair, and had the great pleasure of seeing and handling the Ryan Burns "Harvey Torbett" replica.

Please forgive these somewhat shaky photos from my mobile phone ...

Ryan has done a wonderful job ... adding his own touches to the interpretation by utilising sliding reel mounts, and adding an additional guide to the tip section which I'm sure will add to the action.

Suffice it to say I was so impressed that I immediately left a deposit for one to be made for me, I hope, in time for the first day of next season ... and in a 'custom' whipping of 'British Racing Green.' This will compliment my Allcock's original with red whippings.

This will be my first ever new build cane rod ... and I can't imagine a better incentive for me to be properly back on the bank next season.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

That sounds exciting, AC :)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tiz a lovely rod for sure :drool:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

At last. After two years, I am to be the owner of a Harvey Torbett. Firstly, many thanks to forum member Olly for letting me become the latest custodian of the Rod. Also To AC for tipping the wink in my direction.
The rod is currently with my dad, who collected it. I'm not sure when I will get my hands on it. I'm visiting in June, so that may be my first opportunity. The rod needs some work but I'll have to wait for an assessment.

Excitement is mounting
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

You lucky lucky man!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Delighted to have played a small part in bringing you together, Sir. Enjoy. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just a short note - I purchased the rod a few years go with the glorious intent of renovation - however it just hung in the corner of the room - along with some others - needing TLC!

With AC's enthusiasm for H.T. he stated MGs would like one - now gone to a very good home & I await the restoration pictures!

Such is life after retirement - far too little time!

Hemp

Post by Hemp »

hi
when i joined i mentioned i had bought one of these and was planning to restore it - all done - rod was in such good condition you could call it an "oily reg " restoration
just had a cracked butt ferrule so a new nickel one and a bit of cork filler and we are done - will try and work out how to post the pictures

decided to take my daughters fishing for the first time this weekend - they are 5 and 7 so i wondered what to take - and the rod just seemed perfect

we fished a small 2 acre pond in harefield - lots of roach/rudd tench and a few carp 7ft deep max
i sat them down and cast out a small windbeater and maggot on size 16 - Daddy the floats gone !

first cast a 1lb grass carp - cast again -daddy its gone again........2lb tench . my other daughter was getting a bit jealous by this stage as the old glass rod she had "wasn't working"
we were there for about 4 hours - they didn't want to come home and probably caught about 40 fish - mostly small roach and rudd hitting the maggots on the drop and slept soundly - i was asked when we can go again this morning

what i have to say is the HT has become one of my favourite rods - light, casts easy nice soft tip with and avon action - would say 3/4 lb test curve but don't really care as its a joy to use - think a chub fishing trip for me next
i have a lucky strike and and thats a bit more powerful but i like the action of the HT a lot

current project is restoring a priory avon which feels like a stepped up lucky strike - one for bigger weedier days on the colne !

Rich

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”