Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

Post by Penninelad »

The reel seat on my Conquest is very short and thin I have now glued thin foam pads on it so that it sits a little proud of the cork handle so that the it can be held securely
Mark Davies

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The cork on my 'Harvey Torbett' handle does seem to have compressed a bit around the 'normal' reel position (about 6 inches from the handle ferrule). It's diameter is as little as 21.8mm in places compared to 22.7mm a foot further down.

The shives on the handle are very thin ... a couple of small holes show that where the reel mounts they are as thin as 0.15mm.

I have had a problem with very fine reel feet, but get around it by 2 or three layers of masking tape on the underside of the reel foot.

I hope that helps MGs, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks for the advice chaps. Obviously a simpler solution than making a new handle. I'll fish the Trudex at the weekend, but will definitely look at taping the Conquest (It fell off my Hillman's last time I fished)
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Just a suggestion, but if the 'Conquest' is a particular problem MGs, Sir ... try glueing a piece of sheet cork to the underside of the reel foot. If memory serves, the first 'Match Aerial' had that modification when I bought it.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks, I'll give it a go
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

I must have spent an hour working though this thread today. A complete delight. Nothing is missing, technical, emotional or historic. A perfect storm of the Internet at its best....

Kingfisher2007

Post by Kingfisher2007 »

"Crikey" My Dad brought me one of these for my 16th in 1969...did"nt realise in was a "Avon" brought from Chalk"s in Marlow. Mind you never thought about it. First specimen fish was a Barbel 4lbs 4ozs on maggot from a swim called "The Hole" at the River Thames Marlow. Then is was Chub fishing. Unfortunately it lasted a year. Youth never took care of things. Now wiser and appreciate things.

Mind you 2 years ago I tripped over a fishing platform while Carp fishing a smashed a Diawa Amorph Whisker and the Pod.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have just found an Allcocks Harvey Torbett for sale.

It appears to have suffered a similar fate to the one I sold on here. The ferrule to the bottom joint/handle has come adrift and about 4-6 in lost from the tip.

Is this rod prone to such faults?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Olly wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm I have just found an Allcocks Harvey Torbett for sale.

It appears to have suffered a similar fate to the one I sold on here. The ferrule to the bottom joint/handle has come adrift and about 4-6 in lost from the tip.

It was originally marketed as a 'boy's rod' aimed at teenagers ... so perhaps it had a harder life than most back in the day. The 1966 Allcock's guide described the rod as "The "Harvey Torbett" is the first high quality ever designed for the juvenile and as such has met with an enthusiastic response."

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

AshbyCut wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:13 pm
Olly wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm I have just found an Allcocks Harvey Torbett for sale.

It was originally marketed as a 'boy's rod' aimed at teenagers ... so perhaps it had a harder life than most back in the day. The 1966 Allcock's guide described the rod as "The "Harvey Torbett" is the first high quality ever designed for the juvenile and as such has met with an enthusiastic response."
I think you may well be right AC - as youngsters we did not always look after things well or use them correctly.It is part of growing up I guess. The Harvey Torbett I acquired last year had certainly been well used with noticeable damage to the ferrules including the female ferrule being split. However, the rod was full length and straight and in the correct bag. It is off for a refurb shortly and will be out on the bank a little later this year and I am looking forward to that immensely.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”