Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

The Allcocks Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

Post by AshbyCut »

Before anyone asks ... yes ... t'was I who won it tonight.

Listed as an Allcock's "Harvet Torbett" (presumably because they'd seen the one listed as such on 'In The Net' ... http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... ksRods.asp ) ... I'm crossing my fingers that it's as complete as it looks, but time will tell. It should sit nicely beside my 1961 1st. edition of "Coarse Fishing" written by the same Harvey Torbett.

Of course, much better pictures will be posted when it arrives ... and if all goes well I'll bring it to the AGM to get the opinion of respected members.

I'm hoping some kind person can scan the listing for it in an Allcock's catalogue ... hint ... hint.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

St.John
Tench

Re: Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

Post by St.John »

Well done sir! I've always wondered what these rods are like.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I think it is listed in the 1967 Allcocks Catalogue.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It's a great name isn't it – Harvey Torbett.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

From 1966 Guide:-
The Harvey Torbett Rod - For the young angler. Previously young anglers have been catered for with relatively cheap and primitive fishing rods. The "Harvey Torbett" is the first high quality ever designed for the juvenile and as such has met with an enthusiastic response.
It is a light rod , perfectly balanced so that a twelve year old boy may wield it all day without the least fatigue. 2-joint built cane with separate cork handle, screw winch fitting, agatine butt and end rings, full stand-off intermediates, red silk whippings, cloth bag.
Length - 10ft. A250 75/- ea. + 12/6 P.Tax.

In the 1967 Guide - price 88/9, inc P.Tax

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I wish someone had bought me one of those as a lad
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

MGs wrote:I wish someone had bought me one of those as a lad
I used to cycle to the tackle shops in and around Birmingham and stand outside looking at the rods and reels on display in the window wondering how on earth I might ever acquire such things.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Olly wrote:From 1966 Guide:-
The Harvey Torbett Rod - For the young angler. Previously young anglers have been catered for with relatively cheap and primitive fishing rods. The "Harvey Torbett" is the first high quality ever designed for the juvenile and as such has met with an enthusiastic response.
It is a light rod , perfectly balanced so that a twelve year old boy may wield it all day without the least fatigue. 2-joint built cane with separate cork handle, screw winch fitting, agatine butt and end rings, full stand-off intermediates, red silk whippings, cloth bag.
Length - 10ft. A250 75/- ea. + 12/6 P.Tax.

In the 1967 Guide - price 88/9, inc P.Tax
OOOHHH !!! Now I'm really excited !!! :Sun: Thank you Olly, Sir ... and ditto, MGs and PershawHarrier. I would have killed for this when I was 15 (in 1966) !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I've just scanned the page fom my 1967 catalogue, PM me with an email address and I will send it on to you :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have discovered that, as well as being a writer in the angling press and a range of books (not only on angling), Harvey Torbett was also a well known coach of angling with young people and adults. No doubt this is why Allcock's named this "first high quality (rod) ever designed for the juvenile" after him.

I now have four of his books :-

"Coarse Fishing." 1st ed. 1961. Museum Press Ltd.
"The Techniques of Ledgering." 1st ed. 1961. Thorsons Publishers Ltd. (claimed by some as "The first book devoted solely to the various techniques of ledgering.")
"The Angler's Freshwater Fishes." 1st ed. 1961. Putnam.
"The Handbook for Fishermen." 1st ed. 1964. Paul Hamlyn."

A fine looking fellow ... here looking very dapper in a fine outfit for a days angling, I think !!!

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”