Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

Post by Nobby »

Hi Hemp, posting pictures here couldn't be easier as the site owner has installed Tinypic, which re-sizes your images for the site automatically.

Simply write your post, scroll down below it to 'UploadTo Tinypic', left-click it and open 'Browse' by left-clicking. That will take you to 'My Pictures' in Windows ( or similar). Left-click the image you want, scroll down and click 'Open'.

The Windows window closes and you are back in the Tinypic window, where you just left-click the green 'Upload Now' button.

Tinypic does its stuff for a few moments and then your chosen image appears in miniature. Now click 'Add To Post'

Image .

The only downside is if you wish to upload more than one image you have to do it all again by editing your post.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Well, with many thanks to Olly and a hint from AC, I finally took delivery of the holy grail. My dad collected it from Olly some time ago but today is the first time any relatives have been heading this way. My brother dropped it off on his way to his seaside holiday.

The rod is generally in pretty good condition although not without its problems.
1. The male ferrule (not attached to the rod) was stuck in the handle section. I wrapped and glued it back in and held my breath. if it didn't work, I'd be stuck with a rod section over 6' long. With a lot of tape wrapped round the exposed part of the ferrule, I attached a pair of mole grips and applied some pressure. It budged a bit then the tape began slipping. A quick re-wrap and a second go got them apart, phew.
2. The female ferrule from the top of the but section was loose, glue setting on that one.
3. The handle was pretty grubby, so cleaned with some gentle rubbing and soapy water.
4. The biggest problem which I knew about when I bought the rod, was an unknown issue with the tip section. This had been badly whipped and disguised an unidentified problem
apologies for the picture quality (the battery died on my camera, so a poor phone shot will have to do.
Stripping off this showed a small split on one face of the tip section. It is about 3/4" long and doesn't cover the whole width of the section. It appears to have been glued better than it was whipped.
Re-whipped and awaiting more varnish.
It needed a bit of heat treatment to straighten it.

However, I have been here before, with a similar problem on an Elasticane Test. The repair looked sound but as soon as pressure was exerted on the section it stayed bent. Only time will tell if this one is going to go the same way.

Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Glad to see you took the plunge - I did not! Hope it comes back to a full life as a rod & not left as purchased when I had it!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Fingers crossed. I'll post progress as things go on

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Great - enjoy!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Fingers are firmly crossed for you MGs, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

As I suspected, now that everything is dry, a quick bend and the rod does not spring back fully straight. A flex in the opposite direction and things look more promising. I'm going to reverse the rings on the tip. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll give it a go and see what happens,

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Apologies for the delay in updating. Due in no small part to a lightening strike on Monday morning which fried our broadband router.

I reversed the tip section eyes. This seems to have had the desired effect. The tip when flexed, springs back straight. Hopefully, this will be the case when I get it to the bank. Presuming I actually hook something.

The handle ferrule having been separated from the butt section, needed some very careful lapping to get a good fit. It looked as if they had been joined for quite some time. Some very gentle use of Autosol polish has done the trick. It is still a tight fit but at least I can get them apart regularly. However, this uncovered another issue. when I got the two back together there was a decided knocking which you get from a loose ferrule. I know that the male on the butt was now sound. That meant the bad news that the female inside the handle was loose.

Not much option now but to cut away the shives to clear the ferrule, remove and re-glue it.

More bad news, rather than being just glued or pinned, the ferrule had been punched onto the dowel inside the handle. Not much for it but to carefully drill the points to soften the wall enough to pull it out, without damaging the dowel, much holding of breath.

Success.

re-glued

New cork (Champagne cork bases) glued. Just need to reshape the trumpet top. Just hope the tip section holds out, after all this

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Oh dear - shows how they were made and how they can be renewed with better materials.

Did Chapman do that with their 500 & 550 & Dennis Pye butts?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Nice work MG sir, coming along nicely :Hat:

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”