Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

The Allcocks Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

Post by MGs »

I'm guessing that because it was a relatively cheap rod, it was probably done to keep costs down. At least it is keeping me busy. I'm hoping to get it finished for a trip with Wandle1 on Saturday. I've rough shaped the trumpet, need to finish it off now.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

My restored Harvey Torbett also has very tight ferrules. I've polished them with Brasso and eased them a little but I hadn't thought of using Autosol. I've decided to give the rod to an expert to resolve for me – perhaps there may be more work than I anticipated. I'm not convinced that the female ferrule in the handle section is a true round as I seem to pick a slight distortion of about 0.1mm when I've measured it with a micrometer. To me that 0.1mm seems significant. I've four rods going to the rod man – all ebay purchases that whilst very good overall are all in need a little fettling to get them just so. All except for one that needs a new ferrule.
Last edited by Beresford on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Final stage now complete.

Not sure that the taper is the same as the original but the outer diameter at the top is. I'm hoping to put it to use on some crucians, roach and rudd tomorrow.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A fine job indeed, Sir ... and the best of good fortune for tomorrow.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Initial reports are that all of the repairs seem to have worked. The rod feels lovely in the hand. Still some work to do. It managed to cope with the inadvertent capture of a couple of carp to about 7lb. A couple of issues to sort. The screw reel fitting is a bit tight (couldn't get the reel off with greasy hands). I think the very fine threads need a bit of a clean. The other is the male ferrule on the but section, which again got stuck in the handle. Careful use of the workmate, some rubber strip and mole grips got it out. Inspection seems to indicate that the top end of the male ferrule is not round, having taken on some of the hexagonal features of the cane. A bit more work required here.

All in all a good result

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I bet it's been dropped on a hard surface and has 'belled out' a little.

You might try dressing the high spots out with a small knife sharpening stone, being careful not to remove any low spots, just the raised metal, so the knife sharpener stone needs to be in perfect condition.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks Nobby, I'll give it a go.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well at last the "Rod" has caught some fish! Well done on the hard work - it was something I could not have done - even if I had persevered.

I am still in awe of the expertise by members on here with their 'hands on' approach. I have built rods from blanks, cane, glass & c***on but cane repairs - hmmm?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Ferrule now sorted. I glued some 600 grit wet and dry to a lolly stick and worked carefully on the high points of the male. Not a perfect fit but now much better. Thanks for the tip Nobby.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

A question for the lucky few owners. I was getting my tackle ready for the Itchen grayling trip at the weekend. I thought I should try out the rod and reel combination. I'm guessing that this would be a good rod for the job. However, I tried it with my Hardy Conquest and couldn't get the screw reel fitting to the point where it would grip the rod. I know that the handle is thin and that the reel has a low foot. So I tried my Trudex. This has a higher more sloping foot and does just about tighten, although the screw is just about as far up as it will go.
Has anyone else had this problem? It may be that the cork has compressed over time or that it was intended for use with thick foot reels. Perhaps at some stage in the future I am going to have to make a new handle.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”