Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

Post by Beresford »

When I had my rod tweaked by a professional rod maker, who I'd place in the top echelon, his view was that the handle remains the weak point in the design. The problem is that in the interests of economy, Allcocks made the handle ferrule from a thin walled piece of brass tube. Another words it's not really a proper female ferrule. There is a tiny bit of play in mine but since I won't be carp fishing with it that didn't bother me. At some point in the distant future I may have the rod totally sorted out and a fancy restoration done including replacing this tube with a thicker walled ferrule under the handle.

I think all rods are prone to loosing a few inches off the tip. Whether they do is down to careful ownership especially in the vicinity of car doors and a bit of good luck.

I bought mine for chub, perch and roach fishing on the small rivers around my neck of the woods.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I was wondering if it was made from inferior cane and other materials as it was sold at 75/- + 12/6 P.Tax? At 20/- to the £1 - that is not expensive.

Especially when compared to 222/- + 37/- P.Tax for an Allcocks "Wallis Super Wizard" or 206/- + 34/6 P.Tax for an "Avon Superb". All details from the 1966 catalogue.

The new "Match Aerial" was 96/- +16/- P.Tax at the same time.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The cane on the Harvey Torbett rods I have seen was up to Allcocks good standard but cheap fittings were used, presumably to keep costs down.
I often wonder if the tip shortening on a lot of rods was down to people cutting the old tip ring off when it needed replacing instead of removing it carefully and preserving the length. A loss of a couple of inches from the tip didn't seem to bother people years ago.

Wal.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:15 pm The cane on the Harvey Torbett rods I have seen was up to Allcocks good standard but cheap fittings were used, presumably to keep costs down.
I often wonder if the tip shortening on a lot of rods was down to people cutting the old tip ring off when it needed replacing instead of removing it carefully and preserving the length. A loss of a couple of inches from the tip didn't seem to bother people years ago.

Wal.
I would agree with that assessment Wal. The cane certainly appears to be good but the fittings especially the ferrules seem very basic and I would suggest even more basic than on my Allcocks Viking which was a very basic rod. The female ferrule on my HT has a fairly major vertical split (perhaps brought on by some corrosion and then being forced) and neither the male or female ferrules seem that well secured. However, they are matters that can be sorted and with extra care we now all take since we were teenagers I expect my HT to see plenty of service in fine fettle.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The cane of my HT is very good – I was impressed by it. The ferrules, if original, are simple. I had them fettled to get a really good fit. The screw lock reel fitting can't have been cheap compared to two sliding bands. I wonder why they went for it. It's a feature I really like and have wondered if this more secure reel fixing was to aid the young angler at whom the rod was aimed.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I WANT ONE!!! :Cry:
I'VE GOT ONE!!! :huray:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

:Hat: I had a waggle of Jeremy Croxall's HT when we were trying to catch crucians the other week, I thought it was a very fine rod indeed. Not that I needed yet another 10ft float rod! :Scared:

There was one for sale on that auction site due to end at Sunday teatime, so I put a watch on it. With 35 minutes to go and with my dinner being served there were 8 bidders, and loads of watchers. The winning figure was ridiculously low, so I put in a cheeky bid. When I got up from the table I was shocked to find I had won it, but delighted. It is currently winging it's way to me for a ridiculously cheap price. Apologies to any TFF'ers who I outbid, I just hope that it arrives safely and is as good as it appears from the pictures and description. :surrender:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Jammy begger Bob, the one rod I miss the most is my HT copy. You'll soon be under its spell and it will point the way to many a crucian :Thumb:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Well done Bob you will not be disappointed. I am very fond of my Allcocks Harvey Torbett and it is indeed a fine Crucian rod.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:36 pm Well done Bob you will not be disappointed. I am very fond of my Allcocks Harvey Torbett and it is indeed a fine Crucian rod.
Perhaps a Harvey 'waggle off' at Stockton in May? You, Jeremy, Mal (if he has his still), and me.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”