Light Caster

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Rod
Grayling

Light Caster

Post by Rod »

I know this might seem an easy question, but is it?
Can I ask, what lengths did the Light caster come in,and did they ever have different section lengths, and what sort of eyes did they have.
I appreciate that part of this question might seem a bit daft, but in amongst a bundle of rods I obtained, there was one marked, "The Light Caster", no other transfer but the one just mentioned, the top section is shorter than the butt section, I immediately thought the top had broken off, but the whipping looks original. The eyes are all lined low bells. My first thought was to re-whip it as a kids rod, but thought I should ask first, just in case it was a shame to ruin it.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Aitch
Pike

Re: Light Caster

Post by Aitch »

I think they came in 7 and 8' lengths... I have a suspected lightcaster (no markings) and that is 7'
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

As far as I can tell they were only made in 7ft versions but there were at least two weights and they were available with sliding reel bands or with fixed screw reel fitting.
They were sold by almost all the well known rod builders but I believe they were all made by allcocks and supplied to the trade.

Sealey did a similar version which is also often found with other makers labels or script on them.
It makes sense to buy in blanks or even complete rods if they cost more to make. Especially if they are of good quality.

Modern arms also supplied many dealers with blanks and partly built rods, usually dold by the dozen to keep costs down.
I sometimes wonder if many of the more collectable rods are all from the same mill.

Wal.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Yep 7' is the length I have an older one with brass sliding reel bands and a more modern one with the screw fitting for the reel, both come in at 7' the tip being slightly shorter than the butt.
All rings are agate from butt to tip.
Great for kids as the length is easier to handle and being a thicker tip section it's less likely to break.
Good in tight swims for those bigger barbel & chub as well.
Regards John.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”