Allcocks Isis tapers

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Allcocks Isis tapers

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

I have the bottom 2 sections of an Isis that I would like to source a top section for or maybe even both tops.

I wondered if any of you fine gentlefolk would have a complete rod that you wouldn't mind posting the tapers of so that I can hopefully find a replacement tip.

Thanks in advance

GB

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Allcocks Isis tapers

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Steve, I have one awaiting restoration. I'll measure the tip for you later on and add it to this post.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I only have the long tip Steve.
It is 42 inches long and 0.258 diameter at the counter to 0.112 at the tip. It is 0.190 at the centre so a fairly steady taper.
If a greenheart tip isn't available, I think a built cane tip would be a nice option too but would probably need to be a good 10% smaller to keep the same feel in use.
The shorter tip is for spinning and lead work and appears in the catalogue to be about 2ft long. Perhaps another member has both the tips and can confirm the length. A short tip in brown hollow glass may be easier to find and would be a good replacement for ledgering too.

Don't forget to let us see the end results.

Wal.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Thanks Wal........once again!! :Chuckle:

I think maybe we should have your name altered to Canepedia, can I please have a show of hands :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Don't think this project will happen anytime soon however, it's very much in its embryonic stages at the moment, Gudgeon rod first if I can find anything suitable, but still struggling with that at the moment.......being a traditionalist of limited means sucks :fingertap:

GB

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Gudgeon Basher, I have just finished nice little Gudgeon rod, it's approx 9ft 6in long. I had a fly rod that came with some other rods, really horrible looking handle on it, quite "yukky", so it was relegated to the bits bucket. Along came this bloody virus, and the Mrs working from home, that meant I have to creep round the house during office hours, in case she is talking to a client, not just Effing and blinding at the PC :Chuckle: So I decided to blitz all the jobs piling up in my rod workshop, this fly rod came out of the bucket first, I could not get the where withal to do it as it was, then the light bulb moment came, would it make a Gudgeon rod? So I sorted the rings out, stripped the "Yukky" handle off it, and set to work, put a new cork handle, sliding reel fittings, new butt cap and button, then whipped it in a Ruby coloured silk, with gold silk tippings and intermediates, when the top section is dry, I will post a couple of photo's on this thread. To get back to your original thought, Fly rods tend to go for a song on that site, so keep your eyes out for the length you want, and start from scratch. If it's any help, I have loads of OO sized Grass Green silk, so if you want a spool just PM me with where to send it.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”