Allcocks superb

The Allcocks Rods forum.
TenchBread
Stickleback

Allcocks superb

Post by TenchBread »

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and a little unsure how to proceed.
I have shadowed the forum for some time and now feel I should come in from the cold.
A chance meeting with Lea dweller and a few messages with snape recently, tipped the scales.
I am hoping someone will be able to help with information on a three piece Allcocks superb.
I acquired this rod from an antique dealer who wanted £25 for it. I haggled a bit and got it for £22 and feel it was a bargain.
The bad points to the rod are that the rings are either corroded or bent or both also some white corrosion to the butt cap these can be sorted... new rings and so on
Good points are that the cane is dead straight and the cork is in good condition also the transfer is almost all there.
The problem is the ring spacing seems a bit crazy space wise, so I am wondering if someone has tried a re- whip. Obviously if one of the members has an original untampered rod and would be kind enough to get the spring rule out that would be most helpful
It is currently whipped in a pale leaf green that I personally do not like.Is this the original colour? ... do I whip in a green of my choice or even another colour?
All opinions and suggestions appreciated and considered ...thanks

JW1
Grayling

Re: Allcocks superb

Post by JW1 »

Welcome to the forum, and it looks like you did find a bargain. Unfortunately I can't help with this but I'm sure someone will be able to help you shortly. In the meantime try looking through the traditional rod section as someone may have asked this before or just type the name into the search box and see what comes up. You will be amazed how much information can be found on here.

JW

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Which Superb is it? There are different varieties

Material:- cane - built cane - etc

For: - fly fishing - coarse fishing (carp or avon) - See Allcocks Range of Rods in the heading "Traditional Rods"

Length:- ???? 9ft - 12ft fly rod - usually 10ft for coarse.

Hope that helps - photos would also help.

TenchBread
Stickleback

Post by TenchBread »

The superb is ten foot and is a carp rod in my opinion

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

OK - potentially a very nice & rare rod!

Only seen a couple and I stand to be corrected if I say that the pale-ish green whipping is the original.

It is your rod so to restore to "newish" requires the right colour. (And can add to the value.)

To restore to your liking/using - what colour you like! (But than can reduce the value!)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi TenchBread, welcome to the forum.

This information is from a "new for this year" supplement inside a 1959 Allcocks Catalogue. It shows the Superb as a carp rod and as Olly says, the green whippings are correct. Only 6 rings in total but I think I would be tempted to give it a couple more.

Keep us up to date with restoration.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thats a great advertisement Wal.
" Built to deal with a 40 pounder "

TenchBread
Stickleback

Post by TenchBread »

Thanks for your suggestions Olly in the interests of authenticity perhaps I should try to match the whipping colour
Yes wal. That is definitely the same rod. Even on the line drawing in the catalogue the rings look wrong, but clearly that is what the makers intended
I will put some old line through the knackered rings and see what they tell me.
It certainly looks like it could do with extra rings but would this reduce the rods authenticity and consequently value... I could easily re calculate the inters... your opinions gentlemen?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a 3 joint 10 ft rod suitable for a 40 - but not the Allcock version! It too has only 6 rings - got it out of its bag/case to check.

I always wondered why, by modern standards, cane rods have less rings - but they do bend in a very different way to very modern 'black' rods - glass being possibly 1/2 way betwixt the two! Playing fish is also very different.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

If you have found a cheap Superb and can either rebuild it or get someone else to do so, you will have a very desirable rod. I had a Superb and the New Superb which are now up for sale. They are such great rods and have landed many barbel to double figures yet never feel too heavy for chub fishing. The action is, in my opinion (put's tin hat on) far better than any MkIV I've handled.

Welcome to the forum and may your rod hunting luck rub off on all of us.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”