Wizard ???

The Allcocks Rods forum.
JockScott
Minnow

Wizard ???

Post by JockScott »

I had this green Rod recently bought for me by my brother and I do not know if I believe the indian ink writing where a label was at one time.
So I am asking for help in identification. I have placed one of my Wizards alongside for comparison. I also have a Super wizard but this rod has different coloured agate rings.
Obviously restored, and to be kind not to the highest standard.
The tip has about 2 inches missing but seems to work okay (a couple of small carp yesterday)
Differences
The handle is 2 inches longer with bronzed reel fittings and a permanent wood bung.
The rod weighs 12.1 oz..
An appraisal of what it actually is and its era please ????Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Wizard ???

Post by Paul F »

It does look like it with the sheet cork handle, and the ferrules look Allcock like, the only other way to be a little more certain is to check the taper, although this will not prove it 100% as tapers were copied by makers.

I have a friend who thought he had a Allcock Wallis Wizard, but the label was missing, when he stripped it back to the bare cane there was a shadow on the bare cane showing the thin wrapped round label and clearly the words Wallis Wizard, I was amazed when he showed me, it proved 100% it was an original Wallis Wizard :Wink:

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Wizard ???

Post by Black Prince »

Looks like it to me :Thumb: mike

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”