An Old Allcocks Rod but which one?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

An Old Allcocks Rod but which one?

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I had what can only be called a LuckyLuca experience by being given some 15 rods or parts thereof for the sum of depositing £5 in a Children's Charity Box.

Amongst this veritable thicket are an Olivers of Kebworth glass rod of which more later but also a very old Allcocks Rod being a three piece with a length of approximately 13 feet 6 inches when assembled.

The cork handle with brass fittings is approximately 23 inches long and the 2 rings on the bottom section may be nickel with porcelain inserts.

The middle section has three unlined rings and insert which sees a substantial change in rod diameter.

The top section carriers 5 rings (being 4 unlined ) with the tip ring having an agate liner. The top section has a 26 inch built cane insert.

The male and female ferrules appear to be quality brass fittings.

The rod has a brown stained finish with some intermediates all of which appear to be original.

The rod is relatively light and I suspect it is perhaps Spanish Reed ( I have never previously handled a Spanish Reed rod so it is a guess. If not then it is a hollow built rod of another material.

Now for the tricky bit - other than Allcock & Co. Ltd. Redditch Eng appearing in an oval on the brass butt cap I can find no other information on the rod. If there is a rod name then its location is not apparent.

I would appreciate some guidance as to what may have fortunately landed in my hands. Thanks.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: An Old Allcocks Rod but which one?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think it's a Gloria, they were available in 11ft, 12ft, 13ft and 14ft long. One of the top match rods in its day..

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Not sure about the rod, but that is a lovely piece of lace! :Scared:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Lea Dweller wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:06 pm Not sure about the rod, but that is a lovely piece of lace! :Scared:
Thank you - clearly you are a man of exceptional :Chuckle: taste. Any idea how old the rod is besides it being older than me? :Tongue:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I do agree with Wal that it could be a Gloria, I believe that they were made from the 1940s? but not certain about it.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

It looks to be the same rod that is illustrated in my pre-war (1938-9?) guide, the "Gloria" model 8737
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Wagtail wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:02 pm It looks to be the same rod that is illustrated in my pre-war (1938-9?) guide, the "Gloria" model 8737
Thanks Alex - if you have a few moments could I trouble you to post a picture of the relevant page from the guide with the relevant notes regarding the rod.

I will have to make a decision regarding restoring the rod as it will need refurbishing before being used again I fear. I had my Allcocks Viking restored some years ago and whilst superbly done by John Brough it lost its brown stain finish and is now the natural colour of the cane and lancewood (I think) top. This time around I would like to see the brown stain retained if possible.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

This is from a 1956 catalogue. For a better detailed view, right click on the image and select open in new window.

Wal.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 pm This is from a 1956 catalogue. For a better detailed view, right click on the image and select open in new window.

Wal.
Many thanks Wal that is very helpful and I think the correct identification has been made.

I should have mentioned that the rubber button had been replaced by a simple screw but this is easily removed and I have a few rubber buttons about so no problem there. The lined rings are in good order. There is a substantial set in the top section built cane insert but I would guess that can be taken out - used as a pattern - and a new built cane insert fitted.

As I use all my rods and reels for the purpose for which they were made albeit with varying results I shall seek some further advice before passing the rod over to a restorer for the job it deserves.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Keith hope this is of use..

One thing to note is the "screw butt cap" - that screw might be original to the rod! :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”