Info urgently needed on Lucky Strike

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Info urgently needed on Lucky Strike

Post by Ljm183 »

The one above with the red and white lined rings i had for sale for over 6 months, i changed the butt and tip rings to normal lined and the rod sold within 6 days.

Changed them to these

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Info urgently needed on Lucky Strike

Post by Nobby »

Yes, I think a Japanese rod has been cannibalised to restore your Lucky Strike at some time, Iain. If it's a square green label rod it is a very late one from post 1964 and would surely have had an 'agatine' ..posh word for brown glass....butt and tip ring.
The porcelain rings were from very early, just post War, gold oval transfer, rods which were whipped in blue.

It's amazing how many 'dealers' use the word 'agate' when they shouldn't. Surely they know the difference....?

You could always use a Seymo 408 from Guides n Blanks:

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/598/category/261

These have a dark matt finished insert that is obviously not original, of course. To get an original you need secondhand..and that means taking a chance it has a crack. These can be enormously hard to spot...and when you do find one...it often turns out to be a fleck in the glass after all.....

If anyone with an original late rod can give ring height and internal lining diameter we can start looking through our spares boxes for you.

With so many folk restoring rods these days...hundreds of us, compared to about 20 fifteen years ago, it won't be long before there are no secondhand guides left.....it's already obvious that they are in short supply.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”