Info urgently needed on Lucky Strike

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Stathamender
Tench

Info urgently needed on Lucky Strike

Post by Stathamender »

I'm just completing the restore on a green label Lucky Strike. The previous owner had replaced the butt ring with a standard High Bell. My understanding is that the original had a low bell agate lined butt ring. I'd like to finish it off by removing this and putting something more like the original back on.

Any one confirm this, the size (from photos it looks like 20mm) and where I can get a replacement?
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Info urgently needed on Lucky Strike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Iain, almost all the Lucky strikes I have had in to restore have had a standard high bells life butt ring of about 7mm diameter. I have had a couple with a similar sized porcelain lined butt ring. These also had a porcelain lined tip ring.
All but one of the rods was originally yellow/black whipped and this one was blue whipped and had porcelain lined butt and tip rings.
Hopes this helps.

Wal.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I agree Wal, most of the Lucky Strike's I've restored have had a large size high bells butt ring or porcelain butt and tip rings.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Thanks for this. This one has a red and white porcelain tip ring (agate was a typo) so I assume it originally had the butt ring with porcelain too and wanted to match. The photos I've seen of these make the butt ring look significantly larger than the on on now, e.g. here http://www.reelantiqueangling.co.uk/all ... trike.html (red ring lining described as agate), here http://d121tcdkpp02p4.cloudfront.net/cl ... 06-005.jpg and here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLCOCKS-LUCK ... 7675.l2557.

The only porcelain lined rings I can find available are white.

I'll post photos later.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

The tip ring:

The butt ring:

Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I would expect the porcelain rings to be white, I have both a spare butt and tip ring of the correct type if you need them. Pm me if you need them.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I bought a green label version recently still with original yellow/black whippings in place. The tip ring is white porcelain-lined; the butt ring a standard wire high-bells type.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Crucian wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:21 pm I would expect the porcelain rings to be white, I have both a spare butt and tip ring of the correct type if you need them. Pm me if you need them.
Thanks for the offer. I've decided to continue with the current ones. The tip ring is fine and the high Bell's butt seems to have been used on a lot of the green label ones.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

That tip ring looks like one of those modern - ish lined rings that were fitted to rods in the 80,s

I had one where the solder came away on one of the legs, when i put a bit oh heat on the joint the red part of the lining melted and the white part fell out. Turned out the red part is a type of plastic.

If you can, change it for an original porcelain one.

The one that melted

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

these (sometimes black liner) orange plastic/porcelain rings are a cheap Japanese import ring often used on budget coarse and sea rods .they're often over sized when compared too original rings and can look out of proportion on slimmer blanks .they're ok ,but theres better options about . I've about to remove a pair of black plastic / porcelain ones fron a rod to replace with agate ones as the've niggled me ,they spoil the aesthetics' of the rod they're on and the new rings will compliment rather than detract from the rod .I put it down too the over sized look .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”