Allcocks rod bag labels.

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Benj1dog
Stickleback

Allcocks rod bag labels.

Post by Benj1dog »

hi All I have bee recently looking for some information on the labels that allcocks used on their rod bags. There seems to be very little information on this subject. Would be interested in hearing if Nybody has researched this topic. Would be great to get a pictorial history , complete with dates when they were used.

Benj1dog
Stickleback

Re: Allcocks rod bag labels.

Post by Benj1dog »

image.jpg
Here is one I received recently, I think it is quite old but not sure what era.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

No doubt someone on TFF will hopefully give you a date on this rod bag, the rod is glass.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Reedling wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:45 pm No doubt someone on TFF will hopefully give you a date on this rod bag, the rod is glass.

I believe the buy-out which created 'Noris Shakespeare' happened in 1966 ... and the company had effectively ceased trading by 1969. If that's so, it gives a quite precise date for your bag to between those years.

This was the label on a Billy Lane DeLuxe Match Rod from that period :-

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks AC I myself wondered about the date. :Thumb:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's two labels a few decades apart! A good start. If you see an S in front of Allcocks it's early...pre-war probably. As AC has correctly asserted the Noris Shakespeare was formed in 1966 to acquire Top Tackle, the amalgamation of Allcocks, JW Young and Lee Products which had itself been formed in 1963 as Allcock Young and then again in 1964 when Malcolm Lee asked to join in........not his best idea. Noris was a German tackle maker they acquired at the same time.

Where might we be in the Americans had been banned from owning British companies? Would Allcock and Lee still be around? Grice and Young? KP Morritts? Do we still really have JW Young?? sigh.

I do have this one, no idea from when or what...I found it online:

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”