Record breaker

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Benno
Gudgeon

Record breaker

Post by Benno »

Good afternoon gents have seen one for sale and wanted to ask for a bit of advice really.

The rod looks in very good condition from pictures but I have noticed from looking at other photos that it appears to be missing the thin green whippings that go with the red. So I wanted to ask if this would be something expensive to be put right? And also assuming it's good condition with that being the only minor problem if you could really call it that what would you think would be a fair price?

Kind regards

Paul D

Re: Record breaker

Post by Paul D »

A quick goggle search shows the average price to be around £100. Although there was one recently that sold for £175.
In essence there a lucky strike with better fittings, as for "missing" green whippings to make a proper job the rod would need stripping, if theres no other faults(rusty rings etc.) and you have a go yourself then £30. Would probably cover the materials. :Hat:
Last edited by Paul D on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nice rod, and I agree with Paul regarding value and rewhipping costs.

Benno
Gudgeon

Post by Benno »

Thank you for the replies. I'm ashamed to say I wouldn't know where to start in terms of doing that myself. If it is just a case of stripping it and adding the green whippings would it becpme costly getting someone else to do that?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Theres plenty of advice on here if you fancy giving it ago yourself, however there are members on here who do such work (and to a very high standard), it's not really my place to name names but a "a wanted add" may produce a response Sir. :Hat:
Ps: you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. :cheers:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

They're a great rod, if you only want it for fishing, I would not worry about the whipping tips, they were only for show.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Anyone want my record breaker?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Benno
Gudgeon

Post by Benno »

Thanks again for the advice I've decided to buy it. Hopefully it will get an outing this weekend and if I'm lucky I may even catch a tench or crucian

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”