Lucky Strike - age by serial number?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Slumption
Bleak

Lucky Strike - age by serial number?

Post by Slumption »

My lucky strike arrived today! Can't wait to test it, I got lucky and managed to find one in great condition on eBay. Does anyone know if I can find the year it was made via the serial number?

Other question is what line strength is it rated for? I was going to use 3lb maxima and a centre pin.

Paul

Gurn
Chub

Re: Lucky Strike - age by serial number?

Post by Gurn »

The Lucky Strike is a wonderful rod and would be perfect with the set up you describe.
I'm not sure there is a serial number, as such.
They can be roughly dated though. Early versions have brass hardware, a tapered winding check and are whipped in blue.
Later versions have the black tipped, yellow whips with the gold oval label.
Later still is the version with the black rectangular Allcocks logo.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Ahh so the number was after the the bit that says 'registered trade mark' so its not a serial number. Its got yellow whips, brass fitting, black label and then the end ring has been replace (with a threaded lined one).

Anyway, I took it out for a test run today, tackled up with an old Adcocks Stanton, 3lb Maxima, handmade Ian Lewis waggler and the top secret 'Frühstückfleisch' as bait. First fish was a 5lb carp, it took me nearly 15 mins to land....two smaller ones followed. I don't think I'd want to get anything larger on it but it was great fun.

Even though it is heavier than my old 1908's match rod the action is far better, its more like my John Wilson Avon. Really chuffed with it, now to hunt down a wizard for the bigger fish....

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Slumption wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:09 pm Ahh so the number was after the the bit that says 'registered trade mark' so its not a serial number. Its got yellow whips, brass fitting, black label and then the end ring has been replace (with a threaded lined one).
That number is the trade mark registration no.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Yep I worked that bit out when I looked at properly in the daylight!...anyway its become my favourite rod, I'm amazed at how nice an action its got.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Strange one ,the Lucky Strike seems a very popular rod, almost universally accepted as a rod that suits everybody.

I have a Lucky Strike, and really am not enamoured with it at all, I have always like mid to tip actioned rods as to me they seem to give a better control over a fish, my Lucky Strike is very through action, and for me ticks no boxes at all , although I am sure if used for smaller species, I.E Gudgeon, it would be fine. :Chuckle:

I am regularly humming and haa-ing to myself about moving it onto somebody who would appreciate it more ... I just cannot seem get myself in gear to do it.It has had a new male ferrule made for the bottom section, which fits well, and has had a rebuild, although not in Lucky Strike colours, I may well rebuild it to "spec" and see if there is any interest.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Old Man River wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm Strange one ,the Lucky Strike seems a very popular rod, almost universally accepted as a rod that suits everybody.

I have a Lucky Strike, and really am not enamoured with it at all, I have always like mid to tip actioned rods as to me they seem to give a better control over a fish, my Lucky Strike is very through action, and for me ticks no boxes at all , although I am sure if used for smaller species, I.E Gudgeon, it would be fine. :Chuckle:

I am regularly humming and haa-ing to myself about moving it onto somebody who would appreciate it more ... I just cannot seem get myself in gear to do it.It has had a new male ferrule made for the bottom section, which fits well, and has had a rebuild, although not in Lucky Strike colours, I may well rebuild it to "spec" and see if there is any interest.

OMR
Why not pop a couple of photographs in the for sale section first it costs nothing and you never know somebody may be interested even in none original colours, I certainly would have been.

If no interest you can change it back to original and try again

Regards GB

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi GB, I am not even sure what it is worth, and t b h I always find it hard to let an item of tackle go, but I suppose it would be better with somebody that used it as opposed to hanging in the cupboard . I should probably bite the bullet, quite a few forum members seem to be de cluttering, it would probably do me good !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've had three Lucky Strikes pass through my hands, including a rare DeLuxe which was more like a Record Breaker, just with cheaper fittings....but I keep hoping to find one as nice as Mushy's.

It seems they really do vary in feel.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”