Wallis Wizard

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Paul D

Re: Wallis Wizard

Post by Paul D »

Paul, why not get some stainless steel wire and have a go at making some, bloody fine rod, I agree with Wal regarding the colour. :Hat:

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i attenpted to make copys of the original rings out of 316 grade stainless steel tig welding wire, but had problems making them smaller as they progressed up the rod, so i fitted a low bell set of cradles eyes instead, but i kept the original nickle silver butt and tip

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i silked mine in conifer green and gold inters, looks good to me

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Crucian, if you decide to go with the green as shown between the labels, I have some nice silk, which will match it. I gave a load to members a few weeks back, and still have a few left, it does change colour when sealed and varnished, so you would have to experiment, to see which system gives the shade you like. I used one of three different sealing methods, 1) the Oliver's two pack, 2) one coat of 50/50 EPA and water, followed by three coats of rapid drying, water based varnish, 3) four coats of rapid drying water based varnish. These methods do give a noticeable variation in shade. If you want a spool, (has about 600 yards on it) just give me a PM with your details, and I will pop one in the post.
Rod :Hat:
PS, if you want to see the approximate shade, this is it, but dont forget it darkens down when finished.

An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

Crucian wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:47 pm Chubman, thank you, it certainly does help, because when I removed the ferrule whippings, which were completely rotten and falling off, they were indeed a bluish shade of silk. The handle is cork wrapped, but more importantly, is a bit longer than the later gold label version and the button is a wooden one.
Interesting that your whippings had been stained over, was the blank stained first? The reason I ask, is the blank on this rod is stained under the whippings.
Did you replace your rings with the paper clip/safety pin type? and what colour whipping silk did you settle on?
So many questions, I'm sorry...but it's a lovely rod and I do want to get it right, hope you understand.

Edit; Forgot to mention that all the ring and ferrule whipping had been coated with shellac, not varnish. Tested it with meths on a cotton bud, and sure enough it dissolved, as you would expect with shellac. Tried the green stain too, very carefully and under a whipping, but this is not shellac based and won't dissolve in meths, I suspect it's copal varnish based, but I'm only guessing.
at that age yes copal i would think,i attempted to copy the rings with 316 grade stainless steel tig welding wire(1mm dia)but found graduating the ring size was a problem, so fitted a set of low bell cradles instead but kept the original tip and butt rings on, ive silked the rings in conifer green and inters in gold,

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Gentlemen all,
Thank you for your input, it's very much appreciated.
Wal, having thought about it, the green would look nice, I think I will go with it...
Chubman, I think low Bell's life rings are a good compromise, I think I will go with these too...
Rod, thats a very nice gesture indeed, thank you. PM sent.

Thanks again chaps :Hat:

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Crucian, were you looking for this type of rings?

If so I was going to strip them at some point, might as well do it now as later, and they could go in the same packet as the silk. It will depend on how many you need, there are 7 on this rod, they all look in good order.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Rod wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:04 pm Crucian, were you looking for this type of rings?

If so I was going to strip them at some point, might as well do it now as later, and they could go in the same packet as the silk. It will depend on how many you need, there are 7 on this rod, they all look in good order.
Rod, that's another very nice offer, but I think I may have the rings I need, thank you :Thumb:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Paul, Rod was kind enough to send me a spool of that colour silk, I've done a test whip with it, it really is high quality stuff, the nicest I've used. I have a project on the go at the moment, looks stunning when tipped with sage green, needs sealing well though, my test piece went black with just varnish. :Hat:

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Crucian, no problem, I bought this rod as an Avon, but had never seen these sorts of eyes before, so was going to change them anyway.
Rod

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”