Wallis Wizard

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Rod
Grayling

Re: Wallis Wizard

Post by Rod »

Paul, I have colour sticks, and whip three half inch bands, then use the three different methods of sealing plus a coat of varnish, so giving me three slightly different shades, the Oliver's whipping glue, always gives the darkest shade, followed by the plain water based rapid drying varnish next, and always the lightest is the one coat, 50/50 EPA and three coats of water based rapid drying varnish. I have now exactly 50 different colours, and not one has gone black :Thumb: (couldn't find a "fingers crossed")
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Thanks Rod, I just varnished it out of curiosity, I normally seal with dilute pva or banana oil, I to have test sticks! :Hat:

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Does any one own a Wizard and a Lucky Strike? I want to know the difference in test curve / line rating and then can decide if I need a wizard as well.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Slumption wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:00 pm Does any one own a Wizard and a Lucky Strike? I want to know the difference in test curve / line rating and then can decide if I need a wizard as well.
You are talking about two different animals, the actions will be totally different.

The lucky strike is very popular rod on here, it was deemed to be a boys float rod, it is all built cane in 3 sections
The Wizard, another very popular is an allround leger/float rod, it has a whole cane butt, split cane middle & tip

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well what an interesting find, Paul...how did I miss this thread until now?

I have never seen a pre-war Wizard with an Allcocks label, though we know other rods had them....marvellous! here is an inage of what I believe to be an unrestored rod from a similar period...it's very different!

I can see instantly what you mean about the small gap between ring fastening whippings, but that silk colour is nothing like yours!

I do have some similar rings made in a very thin and lightweight wire....but they are all the same size....you're welcome to them if you would like them? I shall try and find them and take a picture...I think they are in the loft....I may be gone some time.......

The butt ring seems the same as yours:

Here's another supposedly unrestored rod...the silk looks almost olive in colour....and no room for that lovely Allcocks label on this one:

I wonder what these 'labels' are made from..they don't look like transfers....did transfers even exist in the Early Thirties?? Silk screen printing?? They do look a bit handmade...but the Allcocks label looks far more professional. The Wallis Wizard label on the other hand....two different 'fonts' used...weird!

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Paul F wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:29 pm
Slumption wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:00 pm Does any one own a Wizard and a Lucky Strike? I want to know the difference in test curve / line rating and then can decide if I need a wizard as well.
You are talking about two different animals, the actions will be totally different.

The lucky strike is very popular rod on here, it was deemed to be a boys float rod, it is all built cane in 3 sections
The Wizard, another very popular is an allround leger/float rod, it has a whole cane butt, split cane middle & tip
Yes I like my lucky strike...it seems great for fish up to 5lb's. I have two John Wilson Avon's, a 1.25lb and 1.75lb both are travel versions. In terms of line rating/test curve where would the Wizard fit between these? I tend to use the 1.25lb one more with 6lb liner for my feeder work.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Slumption wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:43 am
Paul F wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes I like my lucky strike...it seems great for fish up to 5lb's. I have two John Wilson Avon's, a 1.25lb and 1.75lb both are travel versions. In terms of line rating/test curve where would the Wizard fit between these? I tend to use the 1.25lb one more with 6lb liner for my feeder work.
I don't like to class them with a test curve, as they differ a lot, but I would say only 3/4lb for lines up to 6lb

I wouldn't want to cast more the 1oz with a wizard, but then again I only wallis cast with a pin underarm

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Crucian The main concern is that of the ring style. It seems that the green stained Wizard's had the upright 'safety pin' type rings, and this is supported by the rod description in the Alcock's catalogues, 'Special upright' rings. Well, having carefully removed a ring ('High bells', badly corroded) it clearly shows where the original ring sat over the green stain. The whippings had a space remaining between them, consistent with a ring having a central gap between the legs, just like the removed ring. I probably haven't explained this very well but please bear with me...if the rod had been fitted with the 'safety pin' type rings, the marks left in the stain by the original whipping would remain, and would only have a very small central gap between the legs. Further, the feet on this type of ring sit to the sides of the blank, and there is no sign of this. It is very hard to believe that the rings, as fitted, are not original rings...I am aware that the later, gold label Wizard's were fitted with 'Bell's life' intermediates. Is it possible that this rod was a transitional model, still Green stained, but fitted with the later style of ring ? Please note that the rings fitted are not 'Bell's life', but 'Stand off Bell's life"...Allcock's description,from their 1938/39 catalogue, which proves that they were in use pre war.[/quote wrote:
I think that certainly a few of these early rods were fitted with stand off bells life rings.I am sure mine was before restoration as the old ring placements were obvious and on top of the rod sections.It may be that the cheaper ? paper clip rings were put on to make the rod cheaper than the "best"range which may have had the early bells rings and cork covered handle.The tip and butt rings on mine could be saved and are the same as yours.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nobby wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:36 pm Image
I can see instantly what you mean about the small gap between ring fastening whippings, but that silk colour is nothing like yours!

Thanks Nobby, I didn't think I had explained myself well enough. The silk colour is actually very similar, must be my photo's.

I do have some similar rings made in a very thin and lightweight wire....but they are all the same size....you're welcome to them if you would like them? I shall try and find them and take a picture...I think they are in the loft....I may be gone some time.......

Thanks again, but I decided to fit replacement high bells.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Champ wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:29 am
Crucian The main concern is that of the ring style. It seems that the green stained Wizard's had the upright 'safety pin' type rings, and this is supported by the rod description in the Alcock's catalogues, 'Special upright' rings. Well, having carefully removed a ring ('High bells', badly corroded) it clearly shows where the original ring sat over the green stain. The whippings had a space remaining between them, consistent with a ring having a central gap between the legs, just like the removed ring. I probably haven't explained this very well but please bear with me...if the rod had been fitted with the 'safety pin' type rings, the marks left in the stain by the original whipping would remain, and would only have a very small central gap between the legs. Further, the feet on this type of ring sit to the sides of the blank, and there is no sign of this. It is very hard to believe that the rings, as fitted, are not original rings...I am aware that the later, gold label Wizard's were fitted with 'Bell's life' intermediates. Is it possible that this rod was a transitional model, still Green stained, but fitted with the later style of ring ? Please note that the rings fitted are not 'Bell's life', but 'Stand off Bell's life"...Allcock's description,from their 1938/39 catalogue, which proves that they were in use pre war.[/quote wrote:
I think that certainly a few of these early rods were fitted with stand off bells life rings.I am sure mine was before restoration as the old ring placements were obvious and on top of the rod sections.It may be that the cheaper ? paper clip rings were put on to make the rod cheaper than the "best"range which may have had the early bells rings and cork covered handle.The tip and butt rings on mine could be saved and are the same as yours.
Well, thanks Champ, that's made my day :Thumb:
I remain convinced that the rod was unrestored and that the original rings were indeed high bells life.
I have fitted replacement high bells rings, chromed unfortunately, because I had no 'bronzed' ones. Rewhipped in green silk to match the original inters. New whippings only, varnished sparingly in flat varnish. Butt and tip rings repaired and re-used.
Nothing polished, cleaned, or 'improved'. the rod looks every bit the old warrior, and I love it.
If only rods could talk...

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”