Allcocks - The Sapper

The Allcocks Rods forum.
DWW
Grayling

Allcocks - The Sapper

Post by DWW »

An impulse buy from the a well known auction site left me with potentially yet another duff rod to add to the collection , and a feeling of had I done the right thing ? When the rod arrived I was amazed . Its superb !
The Allcocks " Sapper " is 10ft 6 inches and the description in the tackle catalogue for 1928 describes it as a roach rod . Well all I can say is if this rod is from that era which it may well be its brilliant . The rod seemed ideal for a spot of perch fishing so I took it to the Norfolk Broads for a go after perch .I partnered the rod with an Intrepid Elite and 3lb line , it felt well balanced and I liked it immediately .
It was great to use and helped me to catch a few nice ones on trotted worm .
This one was a pound and a half and put a healthy bend in the old rod !
These were a selection from a larger catch , and it doesnt get much better than a nice net full of perch . Lets hope the Sapper will bring me some more nice catches .
If anyone can help with the dating of the rod I woulod be very grateful .

Mick
Chub

Re: Allcocks - The Sapper

Post by Mick »

Looks like you've got yourself a very nice rod there Sir! May it serve you well and long! Lovely pictures too.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

90 year old rod still doing the business!

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

It's always nice to wonder 'who was the last person to thread a line through this rod' or 'what was the last fish it saw'? Well done on keeping it alive.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Superb find DWW, Sir, and welcome to the Sapper Club. They do seem to like perch, don't they ?

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have this rod and confirm it is a lovely rod to use.I also use. 9' Allcocks "Sapper" fly rod which will be out of its bag in about an hour to use on my local reservoir.
Mark Davies

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Great picture Ashbycut !
Thanks to Pennine Lad , good to know the Sapper is being used .

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”