Holdwell question

The Allcocks Rods forum.
ExeAngler
Chub

Holdwell question

Post by ExeAngler »

Morning Gents,

I have an Allcocks Holdwell with a spliced in tip. So far I have only used it for light float fishing with 2 -3 pound line but I am wondering if I can use it for light ledgering with a bobbin or touch ledger. It has a very fine tip and I am wondering what is the top bs line I should be using and if it will be ok for smaller Chub up to around 2.5 - 3lb?

Thanks

Paul D

Re: Holdwell question

Post by Paul D »

I'd keep it just for light work personally.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Another question, (full of questions this morning), can you use the tip of a Cane rod like a quiver tip or are they too stiff to indicate bites? The Holdwell tip is quite slim but not sure if slim enough for using it as an indicator.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Cane is very sensitive ,I use MK1V Avons for nearly all of my bottom fishing and you'd be surprised just how many small knocks and rattles they register although I tend to wait until I get a decent pull....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I agree with RBT, cane shows up a lot of information about what's happening at the exciting end of your tackle. The action of cane is slower than a glass or carbon tip and I think it makes it easier to read what's happening. Of course, you need the rod to have a sensitive tip - or, in the case of the MkIV Avon - middle section as that's where the bites show up :Cool:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

ExeAngler wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:27 am Another question, (full of questions this morning), can you use the tip of a Cane rod like a quiver tip or are they too stiff to indicate bites? The Holdwell tip is quite slim but not sure if slim enough for using it as an indicator.
If you think of it the Peter Stone Ledgerstrike, was specifically designed by Peter to act like a quivertip. :Hat:

As RBTraditional has stated, cane is a remarkably effective rod top bite indicator :Thumb:

Sadly, with most anglers being hamfists of the first order not many of these rods made it to the present day intact......hence the high value of good'uns :Wink:

Yes I have actually witnessed anglers in the past using the fine tipped Ledgerstrike to lob out dead baits for pike :doh:

With your rod ExeAngler, 4lb line with swanshot leger, probably a max of three or four shot of this size, to give a rolling bait presentation on rivers for chub or roach, all will be fine. Try to go heavier and problems will arise, as night follows day.

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

With "soft" rods the whole rod shows the bite not just the tip as in a c***on quiver tip rod! Even glass is good - if it is a soft action.

Like RBT - nothing better than watching the rod hoop round!

All split cane rods seem to be softer than most other rod materials.

Personally I would refrain from using a spliced tip rod for anything other than light float fishing - for which it was designed!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I agree with Olly, keep it for float fishing, the tip is likely to break somewhere above the splice if casting out heavy loads.
On a similar note, I have seen three broken Swimversa tips, all broken at or near the point where it quickly tapers down. Great float rods but definitely not intended for ledgering or casting heavy floats.

The Holdwell is a lovely rod and worth looking after, 3 or 4lb line will be about right..

Wal.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I rarely use mine for fear of hooking something that fights back with too much vigour. I wouldn't want to hook anything above two to three pounds on it. I've always thought it the most misleadingly named rod.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Small fish and light lines only for mine
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”