Allcocks - why oh why were the labels on the underside of the rod?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Allcocks - why oh why were the labels on the underside of the rod?

Post by Duebel »

To put fun aside, I have a picture in an old German angling book, showing a gentleman holding the rod upside down for casting with a small like reel. I'll look it up in the morning.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Tengisgol wrote:
Duebel wrote:
Nobby wrote:I've often wondered this myself....I only found out when I was told....I'd wrongly presumed the rods I'd seen with labels below had been turned.

And 'turning' might perhaps be the answer. Perhaps Allcocks knew their rods would be maintained in time with new rings, new ferrules and maybe the butt and other sections being turned to keep the rod overall straight?

As far as I know every other maker who used transfers put them on top.....either the above, maybe...or they just wanted to be different, but transfers below was always their way, even through several Managing Directors and even into the Shakespeare ownership.

Maybe Tony Croft will know.....?
Allcocks put the lable on the underside of the rod so that the fish could see on which maker's rod they had been caught and react accordingly.
:Hahaha: that's very funny too!

I did have a thought. I wondered whether it had anything to do with the use of rods upside down (well to me anyway), spinning with multipliers etc., I'm not suggesting that Allcocks thought that was how these rods were used but perhaps it was a throwback (i.e the way it was always done)?
If that's the case why did everyone else put their labels on the bottom? :Chuckle:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

They did it to not intimidate the fish. :Wink:

Have a look at these pictures. They are from Max Piper's "Der vielseitige Angler".

With the rod held like that, the lable on the downside of the rod would probably make sense.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

I'm with RB on this, on the top will look fine, I must admit I've never thought about what side the labels are on my few rods, I will have a look !
Tight lines
Dave

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Duebel wrote:They did it to not intimidate the fish. :Wink:

Have a look at these pictures. They are from Max Piper's "Der vielseitige Angler".

[img]http://i67.tinypic.com/zyik2s.jpg[/

With the rod held like that, the lable on the downside of the rod would probably make sense.
Great excerpts Martin and I think we're on to something. Many thanks for sharing. Still can't decide though, so I may have to toss a coin!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Duebel wrote:They did it to not intimidate the fish. :Wink:

Looking at the chap in the bottom of the second picture I can't help thinking that must be Herr Crabtree. Mr Crabtree's German cousin. :)

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

From what I have read so far, I'd say, that German angling literature has always had a very close eye on British angling. I'm still looking for anything genuinely German. Even German books from the 18th century write about how you fished in England ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I personally would prefer to see the label on top of the rod, it just looks "right" As with so many things it is personal preference, but since it is in your hands, do what suits you!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Looking through my rods, I've just found that Allcocks weren't the only rod makers to put the label on the 'wrong' side.

This is my DAM Saale, a lovely avon rod made in the late 50ies.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I second that with my DAM "King" , a 7' spinning rod of the same era. Well done and thanks for sharing Martin. Lovely to see!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”