An "S. Allcock & Co Ltd. 'Light Caster.'"

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: An "S. Allcock & Co Ltd. 'Light Caster.'"

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have in the past had these script labeled Light Caster rods without any Allcocks label and I think they were sold to other firms as trade rods as I have had other retailers labels on them such as Alex Martin of Glasgow and Ward Thompson of Thornaby. Both of these Gun and tackle makers later sold rods made by Sealey and relabeled them under their own brand.
I believe a couple of London makers also did this with Trade rods. I restored a rod a few years ago which was an Octofloat in all but name, it had a "Fields" Makers label but no sign of a Sealey label on it anywhere.

I'm not certain but the early use of the threaded reel seat on spinning rods was possibly more of an American or Canadian requirement at first and eventually it became accepted here.

I agree with others about the LightCaster in use, it is a lovely rod, I remember using one while boat fishing for Jacks in Windermere and it was absolutely perfect for it.
One more thing of note, I have had one in almost unused condition which had 6lb in large print stamped in blue ink on the cork grip. I wonder if various line strengths were available as with the Hardy Wanless and the Farlows Sharpes spinners.

Wal.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I have one of these little rods stripped down for re whipping.
The butt section was 70% delaminated .I have opened it up the best I can and glued it back together.The feel of this little gem is really nice despite it's condition.I have decided to add some wider intermediate whippings in the rebuild just for may own peace of mind.
I plan to use it for perch either spinning and drop shotting.....once I have worked out this new method of fishing!(drop shotting )

I was hoping to have it completed whilst on holiday....but this plan went out the window when I got a plea for help from a family member regarding their new house!

Hope to post photos once completed.....maybe this side of Christmas

All the best
Nige.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

JC, thanks for all the help, have found the correct ring, and now raring to go, with putting this little gem back together.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

Hi gents,
thank you for your information.
Last year I was able to buy a Light Caster, which I re-wrapped and painted. The agate from the butt ring was broken. For repair, I used two component adhesive and polished it. The ferrule is fractional cracked but I have not exchanged it. This rod has a golden oval transfer and a screw winch fittings.
Before:
ImageImageImage
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

After:
ImageImageImage

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

Here's another light caster that I sold on. The cork handle is very different here. Does anyone know something about it?

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Gone Fishing wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 am Hi gents,
thank you for your information.
Last year I was able to buy a Light Caster, which I re-wrapped and painted. The agate from the butt ring was broken. For repair, I used two component adhesive and polished it. The ferrule is fractional cracked but I have not exchanged it. This rod has a golden oval transfer and a screw winch fittings.
Last year I too came up with a similar one in an auction for £12 (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8768&p=326915&hili ... er#p326915). I also got a 1946 'Sheffield' Surestrike for £20. My intention was to clean and rewhip as the rings were in bad condition (the butt ring is also clearly not original) but while I have the rings and some likely looking thread I haven't quite got round to it yet. I'll try to get to better than 'before' but I doubt if I'll reach 'after'.

I don't remember getting any opinions on the best replacement rings (the top joint rings are just about completely shot).
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Gone Fishing wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am Here's another light caster that I sold on. The cork handle is very different here. Does anyone know something about it?
The fittings look standard but obvioously the handle has been recorked, looks like some kind of cork composite to me, perhaps even cork sheet which has been wrapped on somehow, rather than proper cork rings.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

Mmh,
at first, I also thought that the cork was replaced. But then I have saw another rod, whose cork handle looked also strange. :Confused:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It is agglomerated cork and I think it must have been used at a time when good quality natural cork rings were in short supply, even Hardy's used it on a few rods.

Wal.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”