light caster

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Gord
Crucian Carp

light caster

Post by Gord »

I have just rediscovered an allcocks light caster while going through some bits and pieces and I was wondering if any one can date this rod, it has the name written by hand in a spiral up the rod it needs work but if not to old I might use it as is. any comments welcome
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: light caster

Post by AshbyCut »

The 'Light Caster' was certainly featured in the 'Coronation Edition' (1953) of the "Allcocks Anglers' Guide," and a line of the text about it says "Thousands of these rods have been sold in the past, and the demand today is greater than ever before," so it was obviously around for some time before that.

It is also featured in the 1939 "Allcocks Anglers Guide" under the heading "Spinning Rods for Trout, Salmon, and Pike" ... still with the 'screw winch fitting' ... and even then it states "Thousands of these rods have now been sold, and seldom can any pattern have given such universal satisfaction" ... so we can date the model well back into the 1930's.

I hope that helps Gord, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Re: light caster

Post by Gord »

the reel fittings are screw winch and thanks mal I didn't realise they went back that far, but I have only seen rods with the labels
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”