ALLCOCKS CARP/AVON..INFORMATION NEEDED PLEASE

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Keston
Tench

Re: ALLCOCKS CARP/AVON..INFORMATION NEEDED PLEASE

Post by Keston »

I have been searching for more information and even though it seems they were only made for three years there are some slight variations.
As to prices I saw one for restoration at around £62 a main block of pricing from £150-£260.
An Edward Barder restored rod made £385 anf another restored rod sold on the bay @ £370 plys that Jason White rod at £550.
Oh and £120 for a rod with just a carp tip.
Many of thr pricings were for rods in excellent condition though.
I would like to address the droop in the avon section on the one I bought ,its clearly not something I should be attempting though so may need an experienced opinon.
If it is rare I would also like to search out an Allcock catalogue to go with the rod . Preferably one with my variation in having Carp Avon as a label below /with the Allcocks label as opposed to Carp Avon written in ink.
Regards
John

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

My Carp / Avon was restored by Andrew Davis and all I can say is that he made a superb job of it - the ties / whippings on my rod had rotted and obviously these were all replaced with a precise colour match and I have used the rod quite a few times since the work was done with some reasonable success in putting fish on the bank.

I will check this evening but I think mine has the Carp / Avon name as an integral part of the Allcocks label and not written by hand below it although each top is marked in hand written black ink Carp and of course Avon.

You will need an Allcocks catalogue from 1967 or 1968 but once again if my memory serves me correctly the catalogue photograph of the rod shows it with intermediate whippings. I saw an Allcocks Carp Avon in Barders workshop years ago which he had restored and I think that might have had intermediate whippings. No doubt Edward Barder would recall.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

PershoreHarrier wrote:My Carp / Avon was restored by Andrew Davis and all I can say is that he made a superb job of it - the ties / whippings on my rod had rotted and obviously these were all replaced with a precise colour match and I have used the rod quite a few times since the work was done with some reasonable success in putting fish on the bank.

I will check this evening but I think mine has the Carp / Avon name as an integral part of the Allcocks label and not written by hand below it although each top is marked in hand written black ink Carp and of course Avon.

You will need an Allcocks catalogue from 1967 or 1968 but once again if my memory serves me correctly the catalogue photograph of the rod shows it with intermediate whippings. I saw an Allcocks Carp Avon in Barders workshop years ago which he had restored and I think that might have had intermediate whippings. No doubt Edward Barder would recall.
Mine is the same as yours with Carp Avon as part of a label and written in ink on each tip is the respective Carp and Avon.
The Edward Barder restored rod I saw was being sold through this site and had no intermediate whippings although I think I noticed some differences in the whippings and some extra near the butt.
Regards
John

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

I reckon it must have been 2009 when I saw the Carp /Avon in Edward Barder's Workshop. At that time and before that time I believe Edward did quite a few rod restorations - for example he restored 4 of my rods before he gave up that side of the business to concentrate on building new rods. He may have restored more than one Carp/ Avon of course.

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

here you go gents hope this helps

a close up of the inters

Last edited by Danny Boy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Thanks Danny Boy - the reel fittings are shown as sliding bands which I have never seen on a Carp /Avon and the intermediates are also shown - I do wonder how accurate these photographs are of what was being manufactured by Allcocks. However, still a very nice rod which I enjoy using enormously.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Nice one Danny, noticed the 21 shilling price increase between 1968/1969, that's some difference :Hat:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Very interesting thanks for sharing the catalogue.
I note the reel fittings as mentioned by Pershoreharrier . The only image I have seen of a Carp Avon is the one on this forum that was restored by Edward Barder . The others have the bronze and black reel seat affair .
Maybe This was for 1967and changed for the next two years ?
Maybe those images were a guide only and all actual rods had the bronze black reel fitting and Mr Barder restored as per the catalogue image .
Was it to be Carpavon as per the catalogue I wonder as on the rods it appears with a hyphen.
John

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Lovely looking rod from the days of one rod does it all.

Regards Trevor

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I am lucky enough to have 1 original butt - to the best of my knowledge - and a second butt recently restored - it only had the butt ring missing.
So now I have 2 untouched tips, Avon and Carp, plus 2 butt sections. They were similar except the sliding reel fitting is opposite on each butt. The whipping on the butts is also in different places although the colours are the same.

So what is this worth then? - Although I doubt I would sell - but money talks!

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”