Woldale

This forum belongs to Maurice Ingham.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: Woldale

Post by Gary Bills »

It's a fine, but a short book. I was a little disappointed that there are very few photos or illustrations, but Ingham's mindset concerning fishing and life in general is charming and engaging. Folks interested in spooky happenings will not be disappointed - and there is an interesting image at the head of the chapter that mentions Woldale's ghosts. Yes, as with so many carp pools, Woldale is reputed to be haunted...
Speaking of nervous moments, I was a little spooked at the recent Crow's Field session. On the last night something heavy came crackling down the bank behind me...probably a deer or a badger.
"Snape, Snape, is that you...?"
No reply.
I unzipped the bivvy door, and stared out into the swirling, freezing fog..
Very atmospheric, it was...

John Davis

Post by John Davis »

how much would a first edition fetch ive never seen one for sale on ebay
At a pure guess £500? :think:
Have you got one mazza?
If it is don't tell my wife........I've got a first edition copy from 1996. Its a most beautiful book, each chapter is headed with a stunning water color painted by Maurice.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

John Davis wrote:
how much would a first edition fetch ive never seen one for sale on ebay
At a pure guess £500? :think:
Have you got one mazza?
If it is don't tell my wife........I've got a first edition copy from 1996. Its a most beautiful book, each chapter is headed with a stunning water color painted by Maurice.
Is that the Medlar edition John?
I don't think it would be worth as much.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I thought there were only two editions, both by Medlar. 1st 1996 and 2nd 2010.

I could be wrong.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote:I thought there were only two editions, both by Medlar. 1st 1996 and 2nd 2010.

I could be wrong.
Okay maybe. I thought there was a much older 'original' edition as well. I'm obviously confused! :shocked:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Mark wrote:I thought there were only two editions, both by Medlar. 1st 1996 and 2nd 2010.

I could be wrong.
You're right! :thumb:

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

yeah ive got one but i but dought its worth any where near that much but it seems the peaple that bought them must like them as you never see them for sale and id never sell any of my books either

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

just wondered if may be luke knows how much a first edition is worth

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Not a huge amount really. Though they rarely come up for sale I do see the odd second-hand copy turn up. The book has only been out of print for around 3 years so there are still plenty around and it is not a massively sought-after title in the wider angling world. £60 - £80 perhaps.

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

I purchased a copy from Medlar of the 1996 (no11) version, a cracking little book.
I bought it as "Woldale"(Benniworth Haven) is just up the road from my house and visited the place and wrote a little bit about it.

http://fredbonney.blogspot.co.uk/2010/0 ... haven.html

Return to “Maurice Ingham”