Please be one

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: Please be one

Post by Shed_Monkey »

What a find for £45 :Thumb:

It looks like a 500 which has been re-finished with additional rings and spacing more like the 550 but in high bells.

I have a real soft spot for the Chapman 500 - they are just the right size to tie onto your crossbar, short enough not to get shut in the car door and capable enough for most situations without completely over gunning more modest fish. I've just finished planing and gluing one up today which I will ring up with spacing like yours but with low bells - I have also started building a "light avon" version that will be 10' 6" and is based on the 500 taper but reduced by 10% with a small compound taper in the tip :eyebrow: This should be ideal for small river work.

Enjoy the rod and let us know when it is christened.

Cheers
Steve

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Shed_Monkey wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 pm What a find for £45 :Thumb:

It looks like a 500 which has been re-finished with additional rings and spacing more like the 550 but in high bells.

I have a real soft spot for the Chapman 500 - they are just the right size to tie onto your crossbar, short enough not to get shut in the car door and capable enough for most situations without completely over gunning more modest fish. I've just finished planing and gluing one up today which I will ring up with spacing like yours but with low bells - I have also started building a "light avon" version that will be 10' 6" and is based on the 500 taper but reduced by 10% with a small compound taper in the tip :eyebrow: This should be ideal for small river work.

Enjoy the rod and let us know when it is christened.

Cheers
Steve
Love to see photos of your 500 when its finished Steve, I bet it'll be a cracker! :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Will do Jeremy - its dark flamed/mottled like a priory style rod. I'm not sure about thread, quite fancy a jasper of some sort but only have b&w at present which I don't fancy on this rod. No rush at the moment though as it's got at least a week in the string while the glue cures properly.
Cheers
Steve

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The handle for a 500 is 24in. The handle for a 550 is 28in.

So it should be easy to separate the two.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Looks like a Peter Butler Specimen Hunter, although the intermediates are fewer in number! I wonder if that's the look the restorer was going for. But it's most probably a 500 restored to look like a Peter Butler!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Thank you gentlemen looks like I got a bargain at £45 it has screw tip in the end eye for a swing tip I have two luckily used to be my favourite way of fishing for trout on the swing tip someone's pride and joy I will look after it a lovely rod and just feels right in the hand :Hat: mike

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I can appreciate the problem. I have a 500, complete with Chapman's label, which someone refurbished into a 500 Delux. The blank is wonderful, only my Allcocks Record Breaker beats it for feel and responsiveness.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”