Please be one

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Please be one

Post by Black Prince »

It's a foot shorter than a avocet it's rung with high bells the whiping is black or dark green the eyes are like new it's been varnished to a very high standard no markings its the most responsive rod I have ever handled arrow straight I have never seen a chapman 500 but it comes in 3 pieces butt splitcane middle and top ten high bells eyes It just screams catch a fish I saw it in a tackle shop in Preston yesterday I should have bought it then but didn't got home and couldn't get it out of my mind so went back today yes it was still there I carefully looked it over I could find nothing wrong with it it was like new with out a makers name it came with a no named rod bag I counted out £45 I waited for the man to say it's £145 but he didn't here's some photos ImageImageImageImageImage I hope it is what I think but if not a lovel rod thanks in advance mike :Hat:

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: Please be one

Post by The Old Buffer »

You have certainly got yourself a bargain at £45, thats for sure.
It looks as though it has been refurbished to a high standard but I have doubts that it would have originally had the high bells. It is difficult to be sure from photographs alone but it looks too powerful a rod for a Chapmans 500 or 550. It has more of the look of a stepped up mkiv.

There are sure to be folks here you have more idea of these things than I and can possibly identify the maker but well done for snatching such a bargain - its the sort of thing we all dream about. :Hat:
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I take it you wear wearing a mask and a stripey jumper when you 'bought' it !!!

As it has 3 guides on the centre section and 5 (including the tip guide) on the tip, it looks more like a 550. The 500 had two guides an the centre and 4 on the tip (though someone could have 'upgraded' the guides at some point), as the illustrations on their web site shows :-

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=730

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=382

It could also be a 'kit' rod, bought as a blank and made up by the owner ... as often happened in the past.

It's a bargain, certainly. Well done indeed.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

The test curve is one pound it has 10 high bells rings it's a through action the butt is 24 inches the two splitcane sections are 4foot2ichesImagethe totalImage the total light assembled is 10 feet pictures not too good[m[/s][/s][/s][/s]ImageImage mike :Hat:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Both the rods I bought hoping they might be 500s turnout to be Sealey Strikerites, but I don't know how to tell the difference.
If it is a Sealey, it's still a very nice rod, (so nice one wonders if they didn't buy the blanks from Chapmans) and well worth it. Enjoy!

Ah! Found it: If the female ferrule is just the aluminium tube on which the handle is built, it isn't a 500 and may be a Sealey; if it's a brass ferrule under the corks, it isn't a Sealey and may be a Chapman. Kits, copies and home modifications make certainty unlikely, though.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Looks like a refurbed Chapman 500 to me. It has chapman 500 ferrules and the female ferrule in the handle looks like a 500, the reel bands are also Chapman , not Edgar Sealey.

Nice find :Thumb:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have 2 X 500 and 2 x 550. Looks like a refurbished 500 to me. Nicely done as well with intermediates. A t/c of a pound makes not a 550 but more likely a 500.

So an all rounder - within reason - for float fishing and ledgering.

Well snaffled!

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Surely that has to be a refurbed 500, looks exactly like mine although with intermediates added and re rung??
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Thank you for your replies gentlemen the female ferrule is brass mike :Hat:

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

In my opinion the handle is the right length for a 500, the test curve is right and the ferrules are right for a 500 and I would say it is a refurb due to the intermediates. Whatever it is Mike it is a lovely rod and at that price it was a steal! Use and enjoy. Welcome to the 500 club!

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”