Chapmans 500 de-luxe - Ferrule Corrosion

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Pyrethrum5
Dace

Chapmans 500 de-luxe - Ferrule Corrosion

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Good morning everyone,

Finally the worlds aligned, and it was a case of me being in the right place at the right time......

Depositing our tatty old arm chair at the local municipal dump yesterday, I happened to spy three be-cobwebbed rod bags among the usual collection of rusty lawn mowers, golf clubs and bikes, in the 'for sale' selection. Delving into the first two revealed nothing of interest, but the third.....

A quick question to one of the hi-viz jacketed attendants revealed the asking price for this little pearl among a sea of tat was the princely sum of £2. Trying [very] hard to conceal my excitement I handed over my money and strode quickly back to the car to make my getaway before anyone changed their mind.

Despite being an ardent advocate for the pin, this is my first cane rod. It is in great condition with the exception of some light blue corrosion/bloom associated with a couple of the ferrules. I'm not sure what it is - it looks like the copper sulphate crystals I used to make back in my chemistry classes, 30 years ago.

I'm looking for some advice here - I'm the complete novice, and don't want to ruin the rod with any clumsy attempt to remove the residue. Has anybody seen this sort of thing before? Do you know what it is? But more importantly, how do I remove it?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice,

Best wishes,

Mark (Pyrethrum5)
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Chapmans 500 de-luxe - Ferrule Corrosion

Post by OldTackle »

What a find there! Congratulations. Before you use too abrasive tools I would try with an old towel. Section between your knees and towel around the ferrule pulling back and forward around one half, then the other. That should at least reveal if there is enough material left to get a good fit of the pieces. Then maybe some tooth paste only if really necessary in places?
The handle looks like only minor affected. Maybe a tooth brush is enough here to get it back to use.
How do the female ferrule look like?
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

You jammy swine. What a find and hopefully an easy fix. Even if it ends up costing a few quid to put right that's still up there as bargain of the year.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Indeed what a find! I agree with Chris, don't use anything abrasive, what's the cane like? Looks like its been kept somewhere very damp.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I'm very envious.... but in a nice way. Well spotted, hope it turns well for you!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Thanks for you collective thoughts and for humoring my enthusiasm for my new purchase (or should that be 'steal'!!).

In answer to some of your questions:

@ OldTackle, the only other joint not shown is the female ferrule from the rod's top section:

As you can see it's in very good condition and does not suffer from the crusting seen with the other joints.

@ Paul D, the cane is in a lovely condition - it has matured into a lovely mid-treacle colour. Its a lovely and straight, with the only 'defect' being some slight delamination (?) immediately above the top section's female ferrule, but this to my eye only looks very superficial. The rings all look original with neat burgundy whipping. The handle has the patina of use, and something I'm not going to touch.

All in all, the rod is perfectly good to use, as long as I can sort out the crusting up described.

It does come with a burgundy rod bag with sand coloured ties, but there's no mention of Chapmans on it, so I'm assuming that it's not original..?

Cheers,

Mark (Pyrethrum5)
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

It seems likely to have been in contact with a chemical type fertiliser.
Stored in a greenhouse perhaps?
A careful wash with warm water and washing up liquid initially repeating
with fresh water at least once. Then a gentle rub with a pot scourer.
Leave for a week to see if it has neutralised, finishing with a mild polishing
cream such as Bluebell polish.
Keep the water away from the cane especially during the first wash.

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Thanks 'QuinetteCane' for your advice and suggestions. I'll take the slowly, slowly approach as you suggest......

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I am afraid I have to disagree with every body else's opinions it's not that good I will give you a £5 note and take it off your hands :Beg:

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

I've at least doubled my money.....

:fingertap:

Cheeky

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”