Did anyone "mimic" the Chapman 700

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Did anyone "mimic" the Chapman 700

Post by Olly »

They came from the Continent as a potential "food source" and as a 'pond' fish. Most to Woburn but other waters had them introduced.

No spitfires in the 1800s! Not even a plane - a balloon perhaps? Arrived in a basket! We sent our brown trout all over the world where many countries have surviving population.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Yes Olly I am aware of the dates and timings of things old chap, I'm not in need of a history lesson.... I was having a laugh...call it satire ...its a British thing....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Ah! Is that a reason we are leaving the EU - their lack of a sense of humour! Ours is certainly different!!

By the way I am almost an "old chap" - birthday soon to make me so!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

A very happy Birthday Olly....ensure you toast it with plenty of good ale!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A month & a few days yet.

We may have our differences but we can share a pint! Mine is normally a low cal orange squash!

Beer although most enjoyable does not help my diabetes but I will have one, just the one! Thanks - who's paying!

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

Well I might try it on some pike before I go wild and have a go for some cats. Do you need different baits for the long haired and short haired varieties? :Chuckle:

Anyhow back to the rod......

The handle and cane looks right, the reel rings look right, it has too many line guides (all but the tip have pink inserts) and it has Dennis Pye Pike Rod RLP written on it - were they sold as kits and could someone with the initials RLP have put this one together?. The ferrules also look right.

I has a slight set about half way along the tip, a small bit of cork missing off the top of the handle and the butt finishing part does not look original and is cracked. A good but not perfect user me thinks (and apologies for the incorrect rod part terminologies used).

I think it is a 700 but that it has been refurbished at some point. What do you think?
Last edited by AverageAngler on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

Just measured the pieces across the flats and the tapers seem to match the chapmans spec (taking into account the varnish. I am getting quite excited about trying it out on a Pike or two :-)

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”