Chapman's 550

The Chapmans Rods forum.
SeanM
Tench

Re: Chapman's 550

Post by SeanM »

Hi Ondrej

Welcome to the forum! That rod looks in nice condition. I think that the reel fitting is non-standard though. Normally the 550 has black sliding reel bands.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Ondrej

Post by Ondrej »

Hi SeanM,
yes, i am little unsure, no picture of 550 in internet have something like this, but never mind. Have to make a confession: my first proper split cane rod...i am very very happy. Few day ago i bought an old version of Mordex Merlin, it will be a nice setup :)

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

I use my Chapmans 550 here in France on my own lakes and have landed carp to 47lb and sturgeon of 48lb on it. Unlike a modern carbon rod you can put on lots of pressure with the rod bending right through to the but. You are unlikely to lose a fish to a line break (I use 10lb) and although it takes a little longer to land a fish the fight is really special. Obviously not a rod for heavy leads nor long chucks but great for general carping in snag free waters.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Christ, I use a 550, and a 47lb carp would have me sweating buckets, even in a snag free water.

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

Reedling wrote:Christ, I use a 550, and a 47lb carp would have me sweating buckets, even in a snag free water.
It is just a question of steady pressure and letting the rod work for you. No bullying needed (just tears the mouth anyway), just be patient and be aware that the only weakness of a soft rod is when you are trying to lead the carp over the net when it can cause a loss of control. Having said that I would say that I see far more fish lost to bullying than I ever do from a more gentle approach. The 550 is great for that.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Still, after all said, a super rod, good luck with it.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks for the tips OldFellah, I shall give them a try if I ever fish a snag free water.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd go along with all that...I much prefer a soft, through actioned rod for carp. The only difficulty I feel is if the fish gets up a head of steam, as it were. Once a big carp is 'under way' they can taker some stopping. One trick is to set the hook and then continue on with the rod movement to 'pre-load' the rod, if that makes sense?

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

Nobby wrote:I'd go along with all that...I much prefer a soft, through actioned rod for carp. The only difficulty I feel is if the fish gets up a head of steam, as it were. Once a big carp is 'under way' they can taker some stopping. One trick is to set the hook and then continue on with the rod movement to 'pre-load' the rod, if that makes sense?
Yes, I would agree Nobby however regarding stopping the carp my view is ' why bother' ! The safest place for a hooked carp in my opinion is at the end of a long stretchy line where the hook hold is nicely cushioned. I see so many carp lost by anglers that rush things and try and bully the fish in. A nice soft rod, a stretchy line and patience mean you can enjoy the fight and not worry about the hook hold.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Well maybe not in France but most lakes over here are festooned with snags, Lilly pads, weed beds, gravel bars etc all of which are very easy for a carp to find on a long line, hence the need for strong tackle and strong line especially when the carp are monsters !!

Having said that my challenge this year is to catch a big carp on cane and my 550 will be put to the test, watch out for flying splinters !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”