Chapman's 550

The Chapmans Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Chapman's 550

Post by AshbyCut »

Listed on a certain internet auction site as "Cane fishing rod" this had sat at it's starting price since last Monday, and I was amazed that only two people bid against me in the last half hour (sorry if it was one of the members here).

On the strength of a couple of shaky photos I can now expect this example of a Chapman's 550. Not only do the transfer and handwriting look pukka, it looks full length and straight, and it has the original black ring bands ... but I can just make out the copper wire whipping on the under leg of the butt ring.

Hopefully it arrives safely ... and only needs a gentle clean before it can be on the bank.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Chapman's 550

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have waggled a few of these and they feel nice and capable rods. Well done, Mal.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have and use one of these rods and very fine it is - I do not believe you will be disappointed with it.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I love mine AC but I sometimes feel it errs towards stepped up Avon rather than Carp.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

When the 550 first came out they were 1.5lb tc - a carp rod! And still are suitable for many waters!

But a t/c for modern carp rods is now 3lb+. And for barbel, 1.75 to 2.25lb t/c. Both carp & barbel have grown somewhat and anglers are now fishing ranges and and areas not available previously.

I have a pair of both the 500 & 550. Lovely rods - but not suitable for chucking 4oz feeders!

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Funny that I landed an 8 ib Barbel in a flooded Wey last night and as I gained line on a fish that took off downstream in the fast flow I thought, as the rod's curve was illuminated by my head torch, that there is some power in that butt !!

I am not convinced on these high tc barbel rods, no bend and therefore just a solid pull rather than a more springy resistance soaking up the fight.

Anyway I was most impressed by my 550, which I bought for a song a few years ago and wasn't sure on the cane, bit its good very good.
Best Fishes
Mushy

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Another fine acquisition
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The high t/c is usually only due to the weight being cast! A 5oz lead/feeder not being unusual in winter fishing on flooded rivers, Trent, Thames, Severn, Wye, etc. The playing action is diminished however and not a nice through action that I prefer hence cane when I can!

Many anglers fishing big rivers are 'carballing' for either species!

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Reedling wrote:I love mine AC but I sometimes feel it errs towards stepped up Avon rather than Carp.
I would agree with that Reedling having compared the rod to both James MkIV Avons and MkIVs.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I agree Keith
Best Fishes
Mushy

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”