Chapman's "Fred J. Taylor Roach Rod."

The Chapmans Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Chapman's "Fred J. Taylor Roach Rod."

Post by AshbyCut »

This was listed earlier today on a certain internet auction site as a 'Buy It Now' sale, and as soon as I saw it I hit the button (well ... after zooming in on all the pictures, anyway !).

The Chapman's of Ware "Fred J. Taylor Roach Rod" is a 12ft. 6in., two piece hollow built split cane rod with a separate handle, having a 1lb. test curve.

I've rarely seen one for sale, and certainly not in the condition which this one appears to be ... original in seemingly every way down to the black anodised reel bands. It still has it's original maker's bag, which looks very good indeed too !

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Re: Chapman's "Fred J. Taylor Roach Rod."

Post by Paul D »

Well found Sir ! What lovely shaped cork :Hat:

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

That's a beauty! Well done Sir!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Looks a really nice original rod Mal, how is the weight?, are these an impregnated blank?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Pafpuff wrote:Looks a really nice original rod Mal, how is the weight?, are these an impregnated blank?
The weight I will confirm when it arrives, Sir ... and I'm taking my 'Hunter' to Chapman's tomorrow so I'll ask about your other question. it doesn't say on their website.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

You will love it AC, I have Mike Harris's old rod that he built with two lengths of handle and the blank is like steel. Therein lies the mystery though as the tip is quite heavy for the average roach so either Fred had access to plenty of biggun's or was quite happy to use it like I do as a general river rod. I've also caught tench on mine which it handles perfectly. As far as I'm concerned it ranks as one of Chapman's finest as it will handle a small feeder with ease as well. A good all rounder I wish you great pleasure with it.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

A great find Sir.I have had mine for many years and would not part with it.The extra length is difficult to find in cane rods and was the main reason that i wanted one.Its a superb tench rod for still water fishing.Ive also used mine when chub fishing on rivers.The extra length can come in very useful when chevin is trying for bankside reeds and other last minute snags!.I usually have mine in a couple of rests as they are a little robust!.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

A nice powerful rod Mal.

Will handle much larger than it,s designed for.

Handled with ease :Thumb:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The rod arrived this morning, and I can now fully understand what people say about it ... it oozes power.

It weighs in at a healthy 15.5 oz. (440 gr.)

The condition is exceptional ... down to the original ferrule stoppers.

Pafpuff, Sir ... I asked John Chapman, and he told me that while a couple of rods had been specially impregnated by customer request, they were not given this treatment as standard.

Image Image

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

A very lovely rod.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”