Chapmans to close down

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: Chapmans to close down

Post by Mushy »

Apparently Sharpes are still making impregnated rods in association with Barry Grantham.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well the firm was up for sale a couple of years ago having moved from Ruilsip to Uxbridge to Cowley.........

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

John would have probably had the sign. On the subject of impregnating the blanks, that will be an option on some rods, mainly fly rods, but to order on course blanks too. The blanks can be affected with the process, the balance can change and the feel. Until I have done some testing on a couple of rods I will not offere them as an option. I have recently come in contact with Geoff Walker, Walker's of Hythe, who emigrated over 40 years ago and all his equipment was sold, the Llewelyn they used going to Norman Agutter, he was trained by Bob Southwell who came down to Hythe to help them set up once the contract to make the mk4 in kit form was agreed, that explains why all the Walker kit built rods I have seen have had such a good feel to them, regardless of how the kit buyer had finished them. He had asked to come and straighten some cane with me and I can't see anything but good in that, especially as he's less than two miles from ny workshop. First cane to be cooked in the next couple of weeks and all equipment needed now in place, a few tweets and a couple more things to connect up but after a long set up due to some damaged equipment and health problems, as well as having to get power in, repair the roof, take out walls and still earn a living from my other business too. Set up as a limited company, registered the trade marks, bank accounts, website and online payments options all done too.
I have taken some orders for finished rods, walker replica landing nets and of course the floats I make, as well as several restorations jobs and tip sections for many popular rods which wil be first priority as I need many for the rods I already have taken in. I will be supplying kit rods and blanks to anyone at similar prices to Chapmans and Agutters as well as building materials and equipment. It's still going to be a while before I'm in full production but I want to get things right and one thing I've learned as a builder is you can't have it quick if you want it cheap and good, and as the cost and quality are not up for negotiation then time will have to be the thing that gives. Soon is all I can say though

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Nobby wrote:Well the firm was up for sale a couple of years ago having moved from Ruilsip to Uxbridge to Cowley.........
They were and I looked at buying them then but it was cane and a name not equipment for what I could see so I withdrew

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The Old Buffer wrote:Chapmans. The Brothers move on. Interesting video.

That's the first time I've seen Adam's video. Just as well there wasn't one at the other end, chaos, closed motorways, blocked roads, the lorry was too big to get though the gate of my yard and I had to break out a bollard with a sledgehammer, almost ran out of tachograph time so had to get things inside in any way we could meaning I needed to get help and equipment to move things around again, causing damage to the extraction units filters and I still need to move the lathe to its final position, more equipment needed to do that. But it's all coming together and both milling beds are installed ready to conect to to the power. Still trying to work out if it was brave or foolhardy taking this on by its one of those once in a lifetime things so had to be done

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

When it's all sorted and the first customers are reporting back on their catches you'll put the bad memories behind you, Andy. And once your working on the cane strips you'll remember why you started it all.
Moving heavy gear simply never goes to plan...it seems to be an exercise in problem solving on the hoof, more than planning, as there's just too many unknowns.

So Sharpes was just selling a name and some cane? The cane might be interesting......?

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Lea Dweller wrote:Good news on the Chapman's front! I have just had confirmation (from Brian Chapman) that The Chapman name will continue beyond Brian's retirement at the end of the year. As previously mentioned John Chapman will continue to work, albeit from different premises! So hopefully Chapman's will still be a great source for all things cane.
Arh that sounds excellent Ted, I'll have to pop up after Christmas and perhaps see John even if he's then changed premises as I may well be interested in purchasing a Chapman 500, haven't a clue on the cost yet but will have to look into that latter I suppose :Hide:

At the same time Ted I can also pop in for a cuppa coffee and catch up :Thumb:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Greentura wrote:Some of you who also use my Facebook page will already know this but just to clarify the situation, I am the person Buying most of Chapmans workshop equipment, and will be setting up a factory in Kent to supply blanks, rod sections, finished rods as well as other cane and traditional angling products. The cane rods will be built using Brian and Johns time honored and tested methods developed for this equipment, using the same raw materials and I hope to add some of my own products to the range. It will not be a quick thing to set up but I have the backing of the Chapman brothers in this endeavour, and we will be sharing many of the same suppliers. John will continue to make rods on a smaller scale, and to supply materials, as will I, but I will not be using the Chapmans name, that will still belong to John for the foreseeable future, but he knows if he decides completely stop production i would be interested in that too.

The new Limited company is in the process of being set up by my solicitor and accountant and I have several investors already, and may offer a limited amount of shares to interested parties in the future. If anyone is interested in blanks, rods, restorations or rod building materials please contact me with requirements, and when production starts I will have a full website with products services and prices.

The trading name will be posted once all the paperwork is done but will incorporate Traditional Angling Retro Tackle (supplies) or 'TARTS' which should be easy to remember. I will not in any way compete with the likes of Edward Barder, but I may step on the toes of a few other rod builders, although i have been making rods with the help of Brian Norman who along with Mike Harris and a few others have been highly supportive of this venture.

I must thank the Tff group as a whole, without you in this group I would not have known how many people shared my interest in cane, would not have been able to research many of the things which have interested me and would not have been looking at taking on this venture.

Thank you all

Andrew Paul Green
This sounds a fantastic move Andrew,

I really do hope that this all pulls off for you :Hat:

I'm only in Nortwest Kent and can easily come down to visit as over the years I regularly used to come down to the warren on night tides to bass fish during the summer and autumn, probably not to far from you,

Would be very interested to see what 10.6 - 11ft trotting blanks you'd possibly have when yer all set up :Hat:

Mick G
Minnow

Post by Mick G »

Evening All !!!
Last Wednesday, Nov 2nd, my wife and I had the pleasure of lunch with John Chapman, and we quickly discovered that although Brian has retired, John is still carrying on the good work in somewhat smaller premises.

The old web site still works, but the best way to contact John is by his mobile on 07713057249.

Tight Lines,

Mick G

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Mick G wrote:Evening All !!!
Last Wednesday, Nov 2nd, my wife and I had the pleasure of lunch with John Chapman, and we quickly discovered that although Brian has retired, John is still carrying on the good work in somewhat smaller premises.

The old web site still works, but the best way to contact John is by his mobile on 07713057249.

Tight Lines,

Mick G
Happy to underline this. John is currently working his magic on a "Hunter" on my behalf.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”