Sowerbutt's 'Roach Rod'

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Sowerbutt's 'Roach Rod'

Post by AshbyCut »

A little windfall recently had a few folding beer tokens burning a hole in my pocket, and I had been tentatively looking at Hardy 'Perfection Roach' rods ... when a gentle nudge from a certain Gentleman led me to cast my eye over a rod on a well known auction site and ... I consider myself lucky enough to have won it.

Thanks to the force, winging it's way to me is this E. L. Sowerbutt's 'Roach Rod' circa the late 1940's or perhaps early 1950's (as it bears the 'Chingford E.4' address) ... 11ft. in length, comprising a whole cane butt with a whole cane spliced to split cane tip, and a separate handle counter-balanced by a brass weight by the button.

Needs a little work ... but as it's even older than me (only just, admittedly) that's hardly surprising.

I'll try for better photos when it arrives.

By the way, this is by E. L. Sowerbutts, son of T. H. for whom he worked before WW2. He started his own business from a shop in Chingford E. 4 after WW2, before moving to Walthamstow E. 17. (I'm indebted to a post by Ljm183 for this information.)
Last edited by AshbyCut on Mon May 23, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Sowerbutt's 'Roach Rod'

Post by Paul F »

Looks interesting Mal, look forward to seeing the resortation.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Well done Mal!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That certainly looks a nice rod Mal, well done.

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Congratulations great buy , lovely rod
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks for the comments, Gentlemen All ... and by the by ... I have Bumble to thank for the nudge in this rod's direction. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Mal i think you will find there might be a couple of pieces missing from that rod.

If i,m right the rod is an E.L. Sowerbutts " The Master"

When it turns up check to see if the rubber butt cap comes out revealing a different size ferrule on that end.
if it does there should be another two butt section,s 1 with a handle 1 without.

Here,s a photo of my one without the reversible handle. Image

And here,s an advert for the rod

A photo of the Master

Lee.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Collected the rod from my neighbours this evening after I'd found the card from Parcelforce ... even though I'd been here all day and no-one rang my doorbell (AGAIN !!!) ... and yes, I've checked it works !!! I was a tad nervous when I collected it as the tube was open at one end ... no covering to a bit of bubble wrap stuffed into the end ... but all was well when I gingerly removed the rod from the tube. PHEW !!! (I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.)
Ljm183 wrote:Mal I think you will find there might be a couple of pieces missing from that rod. If I'm right the rod is an E.L. Sowerbutts " The Master"
Whilst I'm pretty sure that the handle is the short one from "The Master," I'm also sure for a couple of reasons that this is a different rod and has been produced using that handle as a base. Here's why I think that.

a) The rod, when assembled, is a full 11ft. in length, and all I've seen about "The Master" (including the advert you include in your post Lee, Sir) states that at it's shortest length when assembled it was 10ft. 6in.

b) If you compare the photographs, you'll be able to see that the split cane component of "The Master" tip section is shorter than that on my rod. I've estimated the proportions of split cane to whole cane on the two rods as about 80%/20% on "The Master," and on my rod 72.5%/27.5%. Enough of a difference, I think, to give my rod a 'tippier' action ... more in keeping with a roach rod than an 'all-rounder.'

c) Commensurately, the guide nearest the ferrule is whipped in a different place (close to the splice on "The Master" and nearer to the ferrule on mine), to allow for the different action.

We can never be absolutely sure, of course, but I'm happy to accent mine as an individual rod on the basis described.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Mal. Glad to hear the rod is a different one to the master
It,s probably a special one off made for someone to their specification.

I have a Sowerbutts rod called the Terry Jones Special that i cant find any info on.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Ljm183 wrote:Mal. Glad to hear the rod is a different one to the master
It,s probably a special one off made for someone to their specification.
Thoughts had drifted in that direction Lee, Sir, and we'll never know which adds to the mystique ... but all I can say is I am excited by simply waggling it ... I'm going to enjoy it !!! :Wink:

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”