7 piece cane rod

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Tinca Tinca
Grayling

7 piece cane rod

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Good evening Gentlemen,
got a Sowerbutts Cane rod today which I donot know for what it was original designed or use for.
It has a flamed Cane butt section with a wooden handle backhand and a cork handle forehand.
In that I can insert: a greenheart tip like a flag mast that makes it approx 6 ft long
2 cane pieces and an other Greenheart tip that makes it approx 14 ft
1 cane piece and another Greenheart tip approx. 9ft (Pike)rod.

What is it and how old is it.Try to take pictures tomorrow...

Tinca

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: 7 piece cane rod

Post by Ljm183 »

Which Sowerbutt,s is it ?
Maker,s initial,s and address ? on the rod

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Sadly nothing like a name on the rod.There stands only sowerbutt and sons london ...street E7 on the
butt cap.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Tinca Tinca wrote:Sadly nothing like a name on the rod.There stands only sowerbutt and sons london ...street E7 on the
butt cap.
Tinca, the 7 could be a 1

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Yes,you are right.It is a "1" and the adress is Commercial Street.So it reads on the rod bag....

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Here some pictures...ImageImageImage

Hope there are details to identify

Thanks

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Tinca Tinca wrote:Here some pictures...ImageImageImage

Hope there are details to identify

Thanks
Hi Tinca I have the same rod and same cane pattern also with the name T H Sowerbutts on the brass butt ,The butt section is the same with the second section whole cane third section geenheart making 9ft with a spare tip section of 2ft . T H Sowerbutts was born in 1820 and died in 1890 so i assume the rod is before his death as I think different intials in the Sowerbutts name were used after his death .There was another T H Sowerbutts (my great grandfathers brother )born in 1868 to 1930 but i think he was the side of the family that were classed as cane dressers and not sure if it would be him , so think its safe to assume your rod is over 130 years old , a fantastic rod I still fish with mine on occasions .Hope this helps.
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Ken.
T.H. Sowerbutts Traded at 151 Commercial Street from 1884 To 1981 and only becoming Ltd in 1951, so any rod without Ltd would have been made up to 1951.

Thomas Henry Sowerbutts 1880-1958
Lee.

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Hi Lee I was going from the family tree that shows the births and deaths of the two T H Sowerbutts as you say the business was still at Commercial Street up to 1980 as my records show but then run by Hilda J Warren daughter of Annie Elizabeth Sowerbutts and her second husband George May . The Sowerbutts family were spread about by then and keeping up with who made what is very hard ,my great grandfather who's brother the second Thomas Henry Sowerbutts had a yard/workshop in Old Ford Road ,Bow near the canal where I used to visit as a young lad .Also with one in Walthamstow there were many places the Sowerbutts worked from .I was going by the look of the rod I have and assumed it was from around the late 1800s maybe I am wrong but it is hard to work out who made what if you could see the family tree its like reading a book there were so many children out of each marriage . The only one I can be sure of is the head of the Family John Sowerbutts 1766 to 1824 who is buried in St Clement Danes in the city .
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Tinca.

In Michael Nadell,s book Poles Apart there,s a mention of Sowerbutts making a combination rod called " The Taplin " which could be made up into nine different rod,s.

???????????

Lee.

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”