Dawsons of Bromley

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Dawsons of Bromley

Post by Vole »

I don't think that's cane shaved down, but brown hollow glass fitted over the counter.
The chap does say it has two glass tops. Versatile, perhaps, but not a collector's dream.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I got another F.T Williams Rod, payed a little more than I wanted to but if it's anywhere near as good as my current one by the same company then all should be good and it was half the price I payed for the one I already have.

Will keep you informed. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Just bought a Dawsons of Bromley Sabina, hope it's as good as the pictures indicate.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

J.T wrote:Just bought a Dawsons of Bromley Sabina, hope it's as good as the pictures indicate.
Looks like the one i have, if it,s the one i was watching on ebay, same colour whipping, should be 12ft,

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I suspect it will be the one you were watching.

Would you rate it as a good rod? Anything I should look out for?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

I would,nt use it as a trotting rod, it,s to heavy, but i have used it for margin fishing and had carp upto 10lb on it, the rod bend,s right through to the butt and the 10lb carp was in the net within 10 seconds, went mad in the net :)

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

So would make a good barbel rod then, Sounds exactly what I was after, cheers ljm183. :thumb:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Rod arrived yesterday and unfortunately needs much attention!

Bit annoyed at the seller as well as the auction stated it would come in a non-original rod bag but no bag was included, also the first two sections don't even fit together, looks to me like someone has replaced the femal flurral on the handle section with one that just doesn't match the male one on section two...

Gutted to be honest as I'm not sure it's worth the time and money to get fixed or if the problems can even be corrected in the first place! :cry:

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

J.T wrote:Rod arrived yesterday and unfortunately needs much attention!

Bit annoyed at the seller as well as the auction stated it would come in a non-original rod bag but no bag was included, also the first two sections don't even fit together, looks to me like someone has replaced the femal flurral on the handle section with one that just doesn't match the male one on section two...

Gutted to be honest as I'm not sure it's worth the time and money to get fixed or if the problems can even be corrected in the first place! :cry:

If that was mine, trust me, it would be going back and the seller refunding all of the money and postage costs. I hate it when sellers lie or are economical with the truth. In future, J.T it's always best to ask the right questions so as to avoid any ambiguity on the seller's part. Nail them right down with the description and if it doesn't match there's no arguments.

The right questions:

Is the rod straight and original full length?
What condition are the labels in?
Are the ferruls correct and tight fitting?
Is the rod de-laminating anywhere?
Condition of rod rings, whippings, cork and varnish?
Original rod bag?

If anything is missing or needs attention set your bid accordingly. If the seller gives it the old "don't know much about these things..." routine,then either walk, take a chance (and take it on the chin if it goes wrong) or again, bid accordingly.

hope this helps.
Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Just checked the listings. Listed as in "in very good condition". Best to contact the seller, explain why you are unhappy and ask if the problem can be sorted out without recourse to dispute resolutuion. Sellers hate the thought of going to dispute resolution. Your seller has 100% positive so I'm sure he'll be accomodating. If he isn't, give him his first negative.

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”