Dawsons of Bromley - Medina

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Dawsons of Bromley - Medina

Post by MaggotDrowner »

The other cane rod I found among my Grandfather's things was a Dawsons Medina. It is missing the rubber button and the lining on the butt ring is smashed and needs replacing. It is whipped in green.

To me it looks like a 9ft spinning rod. Was this its intended purpose? Do any of you have one and do you think it will handle pike? Anyone have one and what do you use it for?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MGs
Pike

Re: Dawsons of Bromley - Medina

Post by MGs »

I have one and Mark (Admin) is also an owner. Mine is the 7' version, I think Mark has the 8'. If you have a 9' that would be interesting, I've not seen one that length. Yes, they were designed as spinning rods. The one I have was originally my dad's. He used to use it for legering for barbel on the Thames. I've used it for spinning for perch and also for stalking carp in snaggy bank side swims. I'm pretty sure it will handle pike. They are pretty tough rods.
Does yours have a clear liner to the tip ring?

There are some pictures of mine here
viewtopic.php?t=87
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Dawsons of Bromley - Medina

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks for the reply, MGs. I have measured mine and it is actually 8ft. I've also just realised that the tip ring has been replaced at some stage. It isn't clear lined but has a black lining and a screw end for taking a swing tip or quiver tip. The tip ring is actually whipped in black and the rest is green. My colorblind eye didn't notice at first.

I'll buy a rubber button for it when I have sorted my car out. For now I will whip on a big, unlined butt ring I have and use it as it is.

I'm looking forward to doing a bit of lure fishing with it when I can get myself to the river again.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”