Whereabouts in Bromley?

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Stathamender
Tench

Whereabouts in Bromley?

Post by Stathamender »

I lived in Bromley for a time in the mid to late 60s, although this was during one of my hiatuses from fishing (it was "Swinging London" and the Vietnam war demos time, I was a Teenage Rebel and after 17 years in Accrington I was ready for some excitement) my interest has been piqued. I recall that Marco was at the corner of Tylney and Pembroke Roads (in the building now occupied by the Bromley Brush Co) I had a girlfriend down that way and other things also meant I passed through the area now and then but where was Dawson's?
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Foss Fisher
Minnow

Re: Whereabouts in Bromley?

Post by Foss Fisher »

Dawsons of Bromley , Chatterton Road , Bromley , Kent . This according to their own press advertisement back in the day

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Hi Iain , i can’t help with your question i am afraid but you mention Marco ,was this a Marco factory ?
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Foss Fisher wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:23 pm Dawsons of Bromley , Chatterton Road , Bromley , Kent . This according to their own press advertisement back in the day
Thanks for this. No question ever goes unanswered round here even if it takes three years. Now Chatterton Road I remember, a fellow Teenage Rebel lived down there and in 1967-8 I used to visit him to plot the overthrow of the State. Don't remember Dawson's though. I have a Sabina and the label of it just says Bromley.
Last edited by Stathamender on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Richard Jackson wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:36 pm Hi Iain , i can’t help with your question i am afraid but you mention Marco ,was this a Marco factory ?
This was, I think, the whole of the Marco operation back then. This https://www.google.fr/maps/@51.4036141, ... 312!8i6656 is what it looks like now.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Thankyou Iain , and i did’nt realise your post was 3 yrs old

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I was told that Peter Dawson was an apprentice at Marco and set up shop very near to them when he started out on his own......it may be from his actual home address.
He was at No. 1 in 1962 as evidenced by this image on FB from 25.November last year.

https://www.facebook.com/Chatterton-Roa ... 742597229/

Though he seems to have shared No. 1 with the local Co-Op.

The site of No.1 is now Nand House a relatively new build, I think, with a highly respect Balkan restaurant there now, called Balkon.

About 6 years ago I met a chap at Romsey tackle fair who knew Peter and was about to write a book about him and his tackle firm. I don't think this ever happened but he did say that Peter was still living in his original house from the Sixties.....I don't know if this was Chatterton Road or not.....

Peter passed away in 2016, I think.

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Thankyou for the info Nobby , much appreciated

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Richard Jackson wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:14 am Thankyou for the info Nobby , much appreciated
Really helpful Nobby, thanks for this, a better link might be http://shagnastie.blogspot.co.uk/2018/0 ... ton%20Road. I suppose if there are more Kelley's for Bromley online it might be possible to trace them further. The Marco place was about a mile away https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/1+Pem ... 938151!3e2. And my old comrade's place is there at No 58.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have found a Jack Dawson at nearby 36 Aylesbury Road in the Thirties.......1.6 miles away. Perhaps an image will one day turn up of the South Suburban Co-Operative Society which appears to have shared No1. with Dawson's........

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”