Whereabouts in Bromley?

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Whereabouts in Bromley?

Post by Stathamender »

Nobby wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:53 pm I have found a Jack Dawson at nearby 36 Aylesbury Road in the Thirties.......1.6 miles away. Perhaps an image will one day turn up of the South Suburban Co-Operative Society which appears to have shared No1. with Dawson's........
I can't find any more Kelly's online but all UK telephone directories up to 1984 are supposed to be available at ancestry.co.uk. Probem is that I can't get any search, even for myself (and I'm reasonably certain that I actually existed and had a telephone before 1984), to work. I shall persevere.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Stathamender wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:58 pm
Nobby wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:53 pm I have found a Jack Dawson at nearby 36 Aylesbury Road in the Thirties.......1.6 miles away. Perhaps an image will one day turn up of the South Suburban Co-Operative Society which appears to have shared No1. with Dawson's........
I can't find any more Kelly's online but all UK telephone directories up to 1984 are supposed to be available at ancestry.co.uk. Probem is that I can't get any search, even for myself (and I'm reasonably certain that I actually existed and had a telephone before 1984), to work. I shall persevere.
I have now got the telephone directories search at Ancestry to work, the earliest available mention of Dawson's of Bromley is in 1957 and the latest in 1984 (which is latest directory available). Dawson's appear to have ceased trading around this time, certainly at this address, as there is a successful planning application in November 1984 to change permitted use from Fishing rod manufacture and shop to Shopfitting showroom. This then becomes an electronics place in 1990 and the restaurant in 2014. According to Bob Brookes viewtopic.php?f=420&t=21317 Peter Dawson was in his 90s when he died four years ago so he would have been in his late 50s/early 60s back then.

I'm wondering if Peter Dawson was the Peter A Dawson who was resident at nearby Forde Avenue for much of the time the shop was working.

Nobby, are you sure about the South Suburban sharing premises (this would be Nand House now)? The relevant branch is further down Chatterton Road on the other side (although this is obviously a building from the 70s at the earliest).
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I can't for the life of me remember how I drew that conclusion Iain...probably best to disregard it....:-(

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Dawsons of Bromley rods I have seen anywhere seem to have no "Trade Label" attached to the rod bags. Despite their destinective lighthouse logo used upon the rods.However today upon that well known trading site is a Sabina example with a rod bag just showing a faded imprint of the company stamp ( no lighthouse) ! Has any one seen an improvement on this poor example?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

No that's a first...better nick the image ;-)

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”