Help required

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Harry H
Tench

Help required

Post by Harry H »

Bought this today,needs a bit of a refurb to say the least.Its called the Falcon,its a four piece,whole cane with a split cane top,the third section has been reduced twice(is this correct)it looks right,is quite light considering it has a assembled length of 14ft.
does anyone know if these details are correct or have I bought a few spares and some more tomato canes :Hat:

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Help required

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Never heard of it Harry but it looks right to me. It appears to be Spanish reed with whole cane spliced in and looks as though you can use it at 12 ft or 14ft by using or not using the shorter cane section.
A good idea and rods of a similar style are still being made today.

Wal.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Never heard of it Harry but it looks right to me. It appears to be Spanish reed with whole cane spliced in and looks as though you can use it at 12 ft or 14ft by using or not using the shorter cane section.
A good idea and rods of a similar style are still being made today.

Wal.
Thanks Wal for the info,just nipped out to the shed and you are spot on I have not seen that before.Good idea if you move swims and need a longer or shorter rod you can easily change the length :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have a Hillman's rod of similar design with an extra section just above the handle. Nice rod and a nifty idea. I have a soft spot for Dawson's rods. Under rated in my opinion. It would not be unusual for a rod of this length to have a couple of splices. Looks like a nice bit of kit
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

MGs wrote:I have a Hillman's rod of similar design with an extra section just above the handle. Nice rod and a nifty idea. I have a soft spot for Dawson's rods. Under rated in my opinion. It would not be unusual for a rod of this length to have a couple of splices. Looks like a nice bit of kit
The more find out about it more I like it,it does need the top splice refixing amongest other things but seems worth doing once I have become a bit better at my whipping. :Hat:
Anthony Shepherdson

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Iv just bought a Falcon
This one needed a couple of ferrules re-glued and a set of ring,s, apart from the butt ring they have all been changed. Managed to get the ring whipping as close to original as possible and gave the rod a coat of varnish. This one measures 13ft 6in with the extension and 11ft 6in without.

Ready to :fishing1:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looks nice. Certainly has some potential
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A fine looking acquisition, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Message to myself , always look in the rod bag before i restore a rod

Just found this in the bottom of the bag

So a little more work to do.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A timely reminder to us all Ljm, Sir !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”