Chris Yates and Jardine. Record chub?

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Snape
Bailiff

Chris Yates and Jardine. Record chub?

Post by Snape »

I just stumbled across this article about how Chris and Jardine spotted and nearly caught a record chub...

https://www.anglingtimes.co.uk/advice/t ... never-know
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Chris Yates and Jardine. Record chub?

Post by RBTraditional »

Lovely story Snape, thanks for sharing that👍🏻
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Lovely account and classic Yates. Thank you, Nigel. :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A great tale Snape but Chris has obviously forgotten his encounter with a monster chub on the Wye. I've spoken with him about that fish as I too once spotted a gargantuan Wye chub. Chris' Wye fish was estimated at 10-12lbs depending on when he tells the story yet no mention above.

Maybe his memory is slipping - I reckon he should keep a diary :Chuckle:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:12 am A great tale Snape but Chris has obviously forgotten his encounter with a monster chub on the Wye. I've spoken with him about that fish as I too once spotted a gargantuan Wye chub. Chris' Wye fish was estimated at 10-12lbs depending on when he tells the story yet no mention above.

Yes. He also once told me a story of a friend of his who found a spot on the Wye to fish which needed to be waded to. He caught several huge chub and the largest was estimated at around 10lbs if not more. As he was wading he had no scales to weigh the fish.
The next day he returned to the same spot with scales and caught a much smaller chub which would have been dwarfed by the largest one from the previous day. It was a good 7lb'er. :shocked:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Snape wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:17 am
Dave Burr wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:12 am A great tale Snape but Chris has obviously forgotten his encounter with a monster chub on the Wye. I've spoken with him about that fish as I too once spotted a gargantuan Wye chub. Chris' Wye fish was estimated at 10-12lbs depending on when he tells the story yet no mention above.

Yes. He also once told me a story of a friend of his who found a spot on the Wye to fish which needed to be waded to. He caught several huge chub and the largest was estimated at around 10lbs if not more. As he was wading he had no scales to weigh the fish.
The next day he returned to the same spot with scales and caught a much smaller chub which would have been dwarfed by the largest one from the previous day. It was a good 7lb'er. :shocked:
I have heard the tale you mention Snape, it's well known of on the Wye. But Chris wrote (can't recall which book), about looking off Bridge Sollars and seeing a monster in his early days on the river.

One thing is for sure, these enormous chub do live in our rivers and rarely get seen yet alone caught. The odds of them falling to random approach is astronomical. Just the other day my mate was fishing the Hampshire Avon and was getting unhittable knocks and pulls on float fished maggot. He eventually dropped to a single maggot on a size 20 hook and caught a fish not far short of 6lbs.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:01 am I have heard the tale you mention Snape, it's well known of on the Wye. But Chris wrote (can't recall which book), about looking off Bridge Sollars and seeing a monster in his early days on the river.

One thing is for sure, these enormous chub do live in our rivers and rarely get seen yet alone caught. The odds of them falling to random approach is astronomical. Just the other day my mate was fishing the Hampshire Avon and was getting unhittable knocks and pulls on float fished maggot. He eventually dropped to a single maggot on a size 20 hook and caught a fish not far short of 6lbs.
Indeed. There is a well known chub fisher, Christian Barker, who has caught a phenomenal number of large chub (over 150 4lb+ fish in one season). He has it down to a fine art and catches then by sight fishing a single, freelined maggot on a tiny hook. Not sure I could manage that one but it is clearly very successful.

I think that if I were immortal and had no other commitments I would spend my time scouring our rivers for the elusive double figure chub, although I doubt even immortality would give me enough time to find it!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

What a lovely read.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:12 amWhat a lovely read.
Jardine wrote:
Indeed. Now I want Mem's input. Where are you Jardine?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Snape wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:10 am
Dave Burr wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:01 am I have heard the tale you mention Snape, it's well known of on the Wye. But Chris wrote (can't recall which book), about looking off Bridge Sollars and seeing a monster in his early days on the river.

Indeed. There is a well known chub fisher, Christian Barker, who has caught a phenomenal number of large chub (over 150 4lb+ fish in one season). He has it down to a fine art and catches then by sight fishing a single, freelined maggot on a tiny hook. Not sure I could manage that one but it is clearly very successful.

I think that if I were immortal and had no other commitments I would spend my time scouring our rivers for the elusive double figure chub, although I doubt even immortality would give me enough time to find it!
Immortality plus an enormous dose of luck Snape :Wink: I've seen one such fish in over fifty years ....... and it was the closed season! :doh:

Return to “Chris Yates”