Grayling

Re: Chris doing what he does best.

Post by Fred »

Thanks for that HD :Thumb:
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

MHC

Post by MHC »

I did not watch all of the Fishing TV which seemed to be an odd mixture of things. I can only imagine Mr Yates cringing inside while being gushingly introduced as a 'legend', I felt uncomfortable watching it.

After 30 years of living and fishing outside the UK I am now finally 'getting' the Traditional angling principle and the yearning for gentler times . This is the second UK television programme I have happened upon lately which looks to feature heavily tattooed tough looking (and sounding) fellows carp fishing. The first was in the Griff R. Jones Rivers series. Are these the Bivvy Boyz of the commercials, I read of, I wonder.

Is this a particularly British divide, there is nothing like it that I know of in N America, how about the rest of Europe. Looking from the outside in, it is very strange.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Yes MHC that's is pretty much it though simplified of course. :)

Just to keep it simple the way I see it is (Coarse) Angling in the UK is divided into 5 groups as follows...

1. Carp fisherman (Bivvy boys, fishing for Carp over days and nights with alarms and plenty of beer)
2. Specimen Hunter (fish to get the biggest fish they can of whatever species they are after at the time) *cheers Olly* :Hat:
3. Match fisherman (the guys who fish competitive matches, catch the most weight of fish win the match)
4. Leisure fisherman (much like Traditional anglers but use modern gear)
5. Traditional Anglers (fish for the fun of it using traditional old school tackle and traditional styles).

I know the above is a massive generalisation and yes there is always some overlap but I feel it covers of the major groups rather well for someone on the outside to get a grasp of what it's like. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You have missed one group of COARSE anglers --- the 'Specimen hunter' as was! Quite a few of them with huge PB's - roach, bream, tench, pike, etc, etc. CY was one in a way - big carp and big barbel.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Yes good spot Olly and thanks for pointing out my typo. :Hat:

Post amended. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “Chris Yates”