On the top presentation?

This forum is for discussing Surface Fishing.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: On the top presentation?

Post by Mark »

Yes there the ones.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

when I floater fish I use only the best bread with a nice crust ,if its to fresh I leave it for day in the open to stale up a bit thus making it nice for the hook.
as for chum I've gone right of it ,bought a bag this season it was more like a bag of pic-n-mix loads of little bits mixed with the mixer. :shocked:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

T31000 wrote:when I floater fish I use only the best bread with a nice crust ,if its to fresh I leave it for day in the open to stale up a bit thus making it nice for the hook.
as for chum I've gone right of it ,bought a bag this season it was more like a bag of pic-n-mix loads of little bits mixed with the mixer. :shocked:

I usePedigree mixers and sometimes Bakers ( both sizes)

You can buy the Pedigree ones on their own - now called :
'Pedigree Mixer Original'

The only slight problem is they reduced the size of the individual mixers a bit about 18 months ago
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

JAA
Grayling

Post by JAA »

What do the panel recommend for mixer biscuit brands for surface fishing?

My 'normal' brand don't prepare like they used to - even when spongy they break apart half the time when the hook is put through...
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Yes, I've found the same. Also, if you don't soak them enough you can't get the hook in but if you soak them enough they sink, assuming, as you say, they don't break apart beforehand.
Recently I've given up on them and gone back to crust - simply from the end of a sliced loaf which I find the carp go for very well.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

JAA wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:01 pm What do the panel recommend for mixer biscuit brands for surface fishing?

My 'normal' brand don't prepare like they used to - even when spongy they break apart half the time when the hook is put through...
Bakers Meaty Meals (both adult and small dog) are soft enough to hook directly and the carp love them.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

JAA
Grayling

Post by JAA »

MWithell wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:12 pm Yes, I've found the same. Also, if you don't soak them enough you can't get the hook in but if you soak them enough they sink, assuming, as you say, they don't break apart beforehand.
Recently I've given up on them and gone back to crust - simply from the end of a sliced loaf which I find the carp go for very well.
I use bread also, but once a venue has been battered with bread, flavoured mixers keep catching I find. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

If I have problems from a spooky carp or gulls when using bread crust I occasionally use the following. I will put a half ounce bomb on the line, then add two float stops followed by a size 4 or 6 hook, the float stops are about 6 inches from the hook. Having cast out near a spot where I’ve seen a carp, the weight and bait quickly hit the bottom, I then feed line out until the bait arrives at the surface, this is a good way of defeating gulls, as you can just gently pull the bait under the surface. It’s not new having been used to the best of my knowledge since the 1950’s but can be very successful. Recently used it to defeat some moorhens, it helped me catch 2 “wildies” Just another idea to have in the locker. It can be very useful when fishing tight to lilies or reeds.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I've done that, although not so scientifically. The look of utter bewilderment on their faces is very amusing.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “Surface Fishing”