On the top presentation?

This forum is for discussing Surface Fishing.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

On the top presentation?

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Its that time of year now where fishing off the top is at its best.
Hiding a hook in a crust is fine, but when it comes to a dog biscuit the presentation is more of an art to get right.

For years I have drilled two chum mixers and placed on a hair with a 10-6 hook depending on the situation.

Problem is, put this rig in a glass of water and the hook is very noticeable (hangs down) when looking from below. Also I am convinced the carp in the particular spot I fish like a single mixer.

So I have tried a band which looks better but the hook still hangs down, in a ideal world I want the mixer to sit in the water with the hook at the top?

How do you chaps present floating baits? And how to you hide the hook for those wary carps?

St.John
Tench

Re: On the top presentation?

Post by St.John »

Break one in half and superglue back together with the hook point protruding. I use leader sink to sink the line between mixer and controller- Edam wax. It's worked best for me that way.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Edam or Babybel wax is excellent as a controller.
I know someone who fashioned a mixer from a wine bottle cork and then embedded a shot on the opposite side to the where the hook protrudes and it flips over.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

JAA wrote:I presoak my mixer hookbaits overnight and then completely hide the hook in them, either one for a size 12 or 2-3 for a size 6 or 8 hook. I've been known to put four on a size 4.
Don't they just fall apart?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

A tiny piece of elder pith, close to the eye, can make a hook float...

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Snape wrote:
JAA wrote:I presoak my mixer hookbaits overnight and then completely hide the hook in them, either one for a size 12 or 2-3 for a size 6 or 8 hook. I've been known to put four on a size 4.
Don't they just fall apart?
Depends how long you soak them for.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Snape wrote:Edam or Babybel wax is excellent as a controller.
I know someone who fashioned a mixer from a wine bottle cork and then embedded a shot on the opposite side to the where the hook protrudes and it flips over.
I've tried this but getting balance is quite hard to achieve?

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

No need for superglue and no need to hair rig in my opinion.
I put a handful of chum mixers in a bread bag, add lake water to cover the mixers and drain straight away.
Tie bag and leave in sun whilst you introduce freebies to coerce your quarry into feeding and obtaining their trust.
After 20 minutes, your bagged mixers will have absorbed and sweated moisture and become spongy and hookable.
No need for bigger than a size 12 or 14, can use a controller but prefer to freeline if possible. With minimal tackle (a packet of hooks) you are free to stalk, where permitted. Have used this method for quite a few years with varying success but endless fun and enjoyment. :wink:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

4ngler wrote:No need for superglue and no need to hair rig in my opinion.
I put a handful of chum mixers in a bread bag, add lake water to cover the mixers and drain straight away.
Tie bag and leave in sun whilst you introduce freebies to coerce your quarry into feeding and obtaining their trust.
After 20 minutes, your bagged mixers will have absorbed and sweated moisture and become spongy and hookable.
No need for bigger than a size 12 or 14, can use a controller but prefer to freeline if possible. With minimal tackle (a packet of hooks) you are free to stalk, where permitted. Have used this method for quite a few years with varying success but endless fun and enjoyment. :wink:
Spot on, size 12 all the way for me recently. Although as a change of hook-bait I am using Sonubaits Oily Floaters in 11mil, really good and worth getting a bag. :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:
4ngler wrote:No need for superglue and no need to hair rig in my opinion.
Spot on, size 12 all the way for me recently. Although as a change of hook-bait I am using Sonubaits Oily Floaters in 11mil, really good and worth getting a bag. :wink:
They are really good, but expensive! Morrisons own bran mixers(4kilo, 2 quid), soaked in sugar and glm, sometimes with an oxo cube too.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Surface Fishing”