Floating putty

This forum is for discussing Surface Fishing.
ExeAngler
Chub

Floating putty

Post by ExeAngler »

Hello Chaps,

A bit of advice please is what I am after. After a Summer of not really giving surface fishing ago, due to a couple of short failed attempts I am going to seriously, (meaning I will do it more often), give surface fishing for carp and other species ago. I watch Chris Yates, "The secret Carp" and he appeared to be using floating putty.

Could anyone give me some advice on using it and what sort of distance you can cast? The water that I fish the Carp tend to me on the surface at around 25 to 50 metres. I don't want to use a modern controller float but fancy this stuff any ideas?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Floating putty

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I use Kryston Drift Wood if I need that extra distance, it lasts forever too, mine must be 10 years old now.
I put a ledger stop on the line about two foot from the hook and mould it around that to stop it sliding. When you are finished with it, simply peel it off and put it back in the box.

Wal.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I use the red Babybell cheese wax, it works perfect for me and cheap too.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Baby bell for sure !

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I use various colours of the baby bell, red, yellow, green, purple
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Another Kryston product called doppelganger is worth a try as it can be used directly on the hook without the need for a subsequent float or casting aid.
Available in different flavours too.

http://www.kryston.com/products-redone/doppelganger/
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I've used the drift Wood putty a lot and it works fine, the only issue you sometimes get is Carp will go for the putty thinking it is food! lol
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Evode were the first I saw to come out with a floating putty at the same time as bringing out their substitute lead putty when we lost the right to use proper lead shot larger than a 8 and smaller than 1oz. What a nightmare that was for the shops sat on massive stocks. That cost the trade a fortune.

I started to use the green floating putty for surface fishing and like J.T. mentions I had take after take on the putty so put this in my favour by simply putting it on the hook and freelining it. I caught loads of what were actually really clued up carp on it, so the Evode stuff was obviously emitting something more than visuals that they liked.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I remember some made by airflow (fly lines) it worked very well not sure if its still available?

Return to “Surface Fishing”