Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish

This forum is for discussing Surface Fishing.
Santiago
Salmon

Re: Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish

Post by Santiago » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:55 pm

A little known traditional way to catch coarse fish on the flie, on rivers, is to trot using a float just a few feet up from a dry flie, and a trotting rod etc. LA Parker raves about this method that he employed with great success in the 1940's on the Hampshire Avon. And of course it offers great advantages compared to using fly line, you can position the flie right under over hanging trees where all the big chub hide and you don't spook the fish with all that thrashing of the water into a foam!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

www.finefishingfloats.co.uk

Tengisgol
Eel

Post by Tengisgol » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Phil Arnott wrote:I stayed at the Caer Beris Hotel at Builth Wells some years back as I wanted to catch a shad. The owner Peter Smith is an angler and he told me that they deliberately fly fish for barbel. I seem to remember the method was to twitch a "Booby" type fly along the bottom.

I think you would be extremely lucky to take one on the surface.
With apologies for hogging this thread but I found some slides a few weeks ago and one is, I think, quite an amazing shot. This was a few years ago, again on the Wye, where we had found a group of barbel that had probably never been fished for. It was May-time and the barbel were behaving in the most natural fearless way. They were like a group of dolphins, rolling over each other in the upper most layers of the warm fast water. A hatch was on of those big white mayfly that you find on the Wye and the barbel were poking their noses out and sipping them in as they came down. They take a fly off the surface just like a grayling. I managed to get this shot!

We only had 4 weight fly rods in hand for trout, with light tippets. I must say I was tempted but it would have been a ridiculous thing to do (and it was the closed season) so I promise that my fly was quickly withdrawn! I am sure that it would have been like shelling peas if I had had a seven weight rod and eight pound tippet, so it could be done in the right circumstances.

We have however caught them on the fly since, here's my buddy with a small one.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duebel
Arctic Char

Post by Duebel » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:29 am

Santiago wrote:A little known traditional way to catch coarse fish on the flie, on rivers, is to trot using a float just a few feet up from a dry flie, and a trotting rod etc. LA Parker raves about this method that he employed with great success in the 1940's on the Hampshire Avon. And of course it offers great advantages compared to using fly line, you can position the flie right under over hanging trees where all the big chub hide and you don't spook the fish with all that thrashing of the water into a foam!
There is an interesting thread somewhere on the TFF covering this method.
Trotting nymphs under a float seems to be a traditional technique in Switzerland.
I'll give it a go in the nearer future and will tell you if I'm lucky.

Great pictures, Tengisgol!

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:46 am

Yes I know, but this method uses dry flies! Which has not been covered.

Hemingway

Duebel
Arctic Char

Post by Duebel » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:52 am

In the thread I was thinking of there's this link

http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk ... tting.html

The use of a dry fly dropper above the float is covered there as well. Very interesting!

Phil Arnott
Perch

Post by Phil Arnott » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:17 pm

One method I knew about was trotting an artificial shrimp under a float for grayling (with no bait at all). I think this method appeared in one of the old mags and was used locally in the seventies. I shall have a word with the Oracle (Kev Clifford) as he metioned the method quite recently.

I once fished for grayling which I could observe and watched them refuse worms and maggots on my trotting rod but instantly took the artificial shrinp I presented to them on my fly rod.

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:48 pm

The method of long trotting with a dry fly is well described by LA Parker in his book 'This Fishing ' first published in 1948, p83 to 87. One basically uses a self cocking float with a ring on the stem. Pass the line through the ring then through the band near the tip and then the line goes to the fly with a cast of about 9'. So the float is actually attached upside down from convention!

Hemingway

Return to “Surface Fishing”