Walkers method.

This forum is for discussing Margin Fishing.
Snape
Bailiff

Walkers method.

Post by Snape »

I recall Dick Walker devising a night time margin fishing technique with floating crust thrown into the margin and a piece with a hook in it being lowered in under the rod tip so no line touched the water.
Presumably it is fished with a centrepin reel on the the ratchet so the fish can run with the bait but it won't drift off.
Does this work? Has anyone tried it?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Walkers method.

Post by Mark »

It works in the day time for me with an Aerial reel and what a bite indicator it is.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

SilverBirch

Post by SilverBirch »

Around 1980 i fished a small pit that was heavily fished for its small population of carp and as a a result they became quite difficult to catch fish particularly off the surface...any line on the water was badly recieved...in frustration one day across a bay and into an arm I cast a lead and strung a line across a well used access point, then by casting a honeyed crust baited hook over this I could suspend a bait with no line on the water. As such I tricked most of the stock into biting and banked most of the fish, no traditional tackle at the time just a desire to fool a few leviathans..... not that they went much above 19lb but a twenty was regarded as a serious fish then...

SB

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

SB

I came across a similar problem at about the same time. I went the other way and used a small bomb to anchor the crust (only 2' of water) The fish still approached it as there was no line on the surface.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MGs wrote:SB

I came across a similar problem at about the same time. I went the other way and used a small bomb to anchor the crust (only 2' of water) The fish still approached it as there was no line on the surface.
Does that make it a zig rig?
I was surprised that the line from the lead up to the crust didn't spook the fish but someone suggested that vertical line is less spooky as fish see vertival lines (eg weed) whereas line at an angle through the water is unnatural.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Snape. No idea what a zig rig is. It was just something I came up with to do the job. I didn't give it a name.
Whether someone else came up with the same solution and named it, I have no idea.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MGs wrote:Snape. No idea what a zig rig is. It was just something I came up with to do the job. I didn't give it a name.
Whether someone else came up with the same solution and named it, I have no idea.
Although I avoid fishing with modern equipment and methods I am aware of them and I think a zig rig is for carp fishing with a pop up or floating bait anchored on the bottom but the bait up near the surface.
I'm sure SK will illuminate!

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

As I understand it, a Zig rig - actually named after a bloke called Zig! - is basically speaking any rig where a floating bait is popped up more than a few inches - say more than four or five inches off to bottom to one inch off the top, and anything inbetween. Walker - it could be argued - used a kind of "pre-Zig-Zig-Rig" at Dagenham, when he "popped up" crust to catch a twenty and high double, in 1952. But I think he did that, primarily, to cope with dense bottom weed.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

farliesbirthday wrote:As I understand it, a Zig rig - actually named after a bloke called Zig! - is basically speaking any rig where a floating bait is popped up more than a few inches - say more than four or five inches off to bottom to one inch off the top, and anything inbetween. Walker - it could be argued - used a kind of "pre-Zig-Zig-Rig" at Dagenham, when he "popped up" crust to catch a twenty and high double, in 1952. But I think he did that, primarily, to cope with dense bottom weed.
Excellent! As always there's nothing new!
Anyone have a view on the vertical line theory?

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Spot on FB. The Zig is used to suspend a bouyant bait at a level you think the fish are cruising, using two rods a varying depths you can chop and change the depths until you find success. This can indeed be anywhere in water layers but from half depth up to a few inches blow the surface seems to be the most popular and successful.

And yes, Walker did use a variation, cementing the fact that there is nothing new in fishing. With Walker devising a rig to suspend a bait above the weed and bottom debris, you could even call it a variation of the Chod rig (Don't go there, I'll not lower the tone of this forum explaining what a Chod rig is!). :tongue:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Margin Fishing”